Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Tomkins

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Whats peoples thoughts here is he gone or do we think a pre season could sort him?

IMO he's gone, absolutely shot i think he was shot before he went to NRL and i think he's come back more shot. If you look at highlights of him from years gone you realise how slow and boring he has become.

His defense has improved

however his attitude hasnt and he comes across as a petulant child when ive been watching him, which was acceptable when he was a league above and tearing teams to shreds now it actually winds me up (like it must have done other teams before)

Problem is he's becoming a weak link IMO, as i say his defence has improved however he seems very reluctant to get into full contact, this means on kick returns not only is he incredibly slow, he also is very hesitant to take the back in. 9/10 he will wait for a winger to come and offload it.

Problem is with that its giving the chasers loads of extra time so instead of the 1st play of the ball being on the 30-40m its 10-20m putting us on the back foot on the set

he's lost the fear factor too, i remember a similar thing happening to feilden after the mason incident, no ones scared of him anymore even the most hardened fan knows when he gets the ball from a kick he has 0% chance of running it all the way back for a try or making a massive break, teams know that so they close him down faster as they know he cant skin them like he used to.

All in all i think he's average superleague standard atm, wouldnt look out of place at wakefield if we are truely honest, certainly leagues away from a marque signing in my eyes.

He's had enough time now to be picking up form
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Re: Tomkins

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I'll be patient a little longer with him but his brother is knackered.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

I think next season is make or break for him. I said all along i didnt expect much of him this season with the injury he has had and pre season should benefit him. I hope he doesnt get picked for england in four nations.
IN WANE WE TRUST
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wane stays he will look bad

Wane goes he will be a lot better.

Styles make a player and we have none.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

He is currently injured, whether that will be corrected over pre-season, who knows!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He is not fully fit and requiews a full pre season. England will probably be shelved. Not sure he would be selected anyhow.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

He's clearly not the player he was and is certainly carrying some sort of injury will he be the player he was?

50/50 for me I doubt it if I'm honest,his attitude is all wrong,he simply shouldn't captain Wigan again imo but it's that knee it's taken his pace and in all honesty the club should be looking long term at a new full back.

Joel I think he will retire.
markill

Post by markill »

He looks a step short of pace and more steps shorter in terms of willingness to take on the line. It all points to him not being back in shape yet. He was doing fine up until that Wakey game when he got clattered landing after taking a kick - getting better each week, scoring or setting up tries at a high rate.

We were also asking too much of him last night in the game plan. That's not his fault. The young ball players have had both leadership and instincts taken out of them but our attacking game plan.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
moto748

Post by moto748 »

First post nails it for me. People say, he'll be better next season. Well, maybe. But I'm not holding my breath.

At the moment, and say what you will about the standard of SL, he looks one of the poorest full-backs in the comp.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Yet the highest paid by far Moto :(