Re: Wigan vs. London: Preview

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jinkin jimmy

Re: Wigan vs. London: Prev...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

waterside glens posted:
don,t think we,ll miss aspy too much
Unfortunately WG we probably will, what with DV missing also. Just goes to show the paucity of talent in the club.

I know it's unfortunate on the lad to keep being moved, but what about Brown in the centre, giving Godwin a start at half back?
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

that would have been something to consider a couple of weeks ago, but brown had a really good game on monday and millward has said he wants brown to continue in that position, which i think is a good option.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

mrs_carney posted:
that would have been something to consider a couple of weeks ago, but brown had a really good game on monday and millward has said he wants brown to continue in that position, which i think is a good option.
I totally agree with this, but I want to get Godwin in somewhere!!

What did dod say - bench Newton? Surely not!!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

I can't see a plus side to benching newton to be honest, newton and godwin provide us with different games and i think playing newton until the opposition are tiring a bit and then bringing godwin on is a good way of doing it.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Doug Stand posted:
I'm just seeing things completley different...am I so wrong. I know Godwin has done well when he has come on but he is a bit lightweight for hooker and I don't think Newton is playing that bad. He's still one of the better players.

To accomodate Godwin, I would definatley go with him in as a half-back. No 7 shirt would be a good option... problem is Moran has a decent game there last Monday and you would want to keep the continuety. As for Brown, I honestly thought he was only average. Particlularly in the second half. I just can't see how he was given the man of the match. He touched the ball about 5 times, 1 OK he almost put Hargreaves in, 3 he took from dummy half and either took it in or passed. The other one he put the ball to ground again by Wilde. Couple of decent tackles but... this is only what I would expect of a player. He didn't do anything above the ordinary. Luke Robinson had more impact in the second half than Brown. Anyway, he did better than Orr would have so I'm not complaining too much...and it would be good to see if he can crack it at 6.
So leave Moran/Brown together. Start with Newton at 9 and spell Godwin in the first and second half for his extra sharpness. I think that works better than giving him the full 80 band watch him get battered.

the only other spot for him is at 7... but you got to go with form, until Morans standards drop then you got to play with him there.
So your centres will be.....?
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

gleeson and wild <--- :(
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

I'm sorry Doug Stand but Kevin Brown is only playing stand off till Danny Orr fully recovers. Much as I like Kevin he didn't do that much to impress me on Monday and God knows how he got MOM. That's by the by anyway. I am so looking forward to seeing Danny and Dennis play together now we have a coach who will make sure they have a platform to work off and if Danny is as instrumental as he was at Huddersfield, before he got injured, then the future is looking fantastic.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Doug Stand posted:

Back you up as always Jim, Ged Byrne was a great utility back. Would have been a starter in any other team. Sammy Panapa was another of more recent times that was a great man to come in.
These were of course the days when players smoked 80-a-day and had jobs cleaning windows. I wonder how well players like Byrne would have fitted into the professional environment of the present squad?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Hayley i've realised how much you like danny, but you have to look at the facts
-He's hardly been fit this year
-When he's played hes not lasted 40 minutes
_Other players will push him for his shirt

Brown had a good game on monday at 6 and hopefully he can finally fit in somewhere and have more games like that. When Danny O plays you can tell when he goes off the field, thats why he has to be 100% fit and not leave the field; its no use playing 20minutes then going off and leaving the team to slide to a defeat. Millward tried to sign brown and wants to see him play at 6, danny orr is going to have to prove himself before waltzing back into the team.[/list]
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

I don't know as I was never that impressed with Ged Byrne. I don't think he was that dependable personally. Sam Panapa was fantastic though. I don't think I can remember seeing a bad game from him!