More Carney rumours

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: More Carney rumours

Post by thegimble »

Doug Stand posted:
Mike posted:
AUssie press suggesting the Brian Carney "hopes to get a release from the remaining year of his contract at Wigan."

From: http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/Rabbi ... click=true

:angry:
Gotta cash in on him I think. Probelm is nowadays players can hold a club to ransom. So if we can raise a bit of money in the deal then so lets do that. He's going to go anyway, so we've got to get what we can.
Go to agree with you here. Hes not been as effective as he was 2 seasons ago. Yes hes been injured but his error against the Giants led to them scoring a try as he did a mistake again on Monday for the first try.

Hes a quality player but if he wants to go then let him go.

On ceefax today Milward said he is not brining anyone in for this season as he is looking at strengthening for 2006. This is the right thing to do unless we could bring Fletcher up its useless brining someone for the sake of making the numbers up.

Hopefully MO will bring in quality from his hols in Oz and that will see us challenging again inside 12 months.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jinkin jimmy posted:
All this "contract" stuff winds me up. If he wants to leave before his term is up he goes on the list with a price on his head - simple.

"hopes to be released"? This is ridiculous. If the roles were reversed, i.e. we hoped to be released from our obligations for the remaining year of his contract, he would run straight to the players union.

If the rumours are to be believed Carney has no loyalty to the contract he signed and ultimately no respect for the people who pay his wages - US!!

This one really does come across as a rat desertng the sinking ship. IMO he can go now - we've definitely had the best from him anyway (and that was only 1 season) :angry:

Re Reardon, I agree he would be a good replacement. Also, given that Noble was willing to offload him as part of the attempt to get Ellis he may be amenable to a change of club.
Do you view what Faz did in the same light.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Pretty much, yes. There are differences, however.

I'm willing to consider the fact that Farrell has given us many years of service and that, therefore, ML thought he deserved "special" treatment. Also, Farrell didn't look to get released - he was sold to Saracens.

On the other hand, at least Carney (if it's true) has given us fair notice - which is something Farrell didn't do. We know where we stand and can do something about it now for the start of next season. But (can you start a sentence with but?) if Carney thinks it is being reasonable for us to tear up his contract so he can move without a fee (and, presumably, get a better deal as a result) he must be crazy.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Pretty much, yes. There are differences, however.

I'm willing to consider the fact that Farrell has given us many years of service and that, therefore, ML thought he deserved "special" treatment. Also, Farrell didn't look to get released - he was sold to Saracens.

On the other hand, at least Carney (if it's true) has given us fair notice - which is something Farrell didn't do. We know where we stand and can do something about it now for the start of next season. But (can you start a sentence with but?) if Carney thinks it is being reasonable for us to tear up his contract so he can move without a fee (and, presumably, get a better deal as a result) he must be crazy.
Yes i agree. We must get a fee for him as if he wants to get released that means he has a club ready for him.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

He hasn't really done much this season when he's been on. He's nowhere near as fast as Dallas OR as strong. He won't take on the defence like Dallas does, I know that's not really a wingers job but it's nice to see the strength of Dallas' legs when he is being tackled by three forwards!

:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Carney was everyones favourite player two seasons ago, then he had a broken ankle and played well in the tri-nations, he's been unlucky again this season with injuries and now everyone is saying we should get rid of him. It's funny how opinions change so quickly.

I'd personally like Carney to see out the remaining year of his contract. He's a great player he's just taking his time to come back to form. If he can manage to see out the rest of the season relatively injury free and has a decent pre-season we could have potentially one the best wingers in the world back.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

robjoenz posted:
Carney was everyones favourite player two seasons ago, then he had a broken ankle and played well in the tri-nations, he's been unlucky again this season with injuries and now everyone is saying we should get rid of him. It's funny how opinions change so quickly.

I'd personally like Carney to see out the remaining year of his contract. He's a great player he's just taking his time to come back to form. If he can manage to see out the rest of the season relatively injury free and has a decent pre-season we could have potentially one the best wingers in the world back.
It's not that I want him to go, quite the opposite (just like Farrell). However, if he is whining about a release from his contract it's apparent that HE wants to leave US. If that's the case, don't stand in his way, put him on the transfer list.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

If he wants to go then souths should pay for him, if it is true hes asking for a release his heart wont be in it playing for us next season, so theres no point in keeping him. He's proved how good he is when hes fit, so he would be a great loss to the team but surely its better to get money for him the year before his contracts up than keep him?
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Exactly. I don't want him to go but he hasn't been his best recently and if his heart is somewhere else that's not the attitude we or Millward will want on the team.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

mrs_carney posted:
If he wants to go then souths should pay for him, if it is true hes asking for a release his heart wont be in it playing for us next season, so theres no point in keeping him. He's proved how good he is when hes fit, so he would be a great loss to the team but surely its better to get money for him the year before his contracts up than keep him?
You fancy Sydney. Or is it decree nisi time. :)