End of Season Clear Out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jinkin jimmy

End of Season Clear Out

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Assuming this is on the cards, how is it achieved? People always have the opportunity of sitting their contract out and clogging up the salary cap.

For Example, we signed Danny Orr on a 4 yr deal - how would Basil get rid of him next yr, if he wanted to, that is :sly:
waterside glens

Re: End of Season Clear Out

Post by waterside glens »

i think most players would rather play than sit out a contract. if you give them a pay off to leave does it come out of the cap
jinkin jimmy

Re: End of Season Clear Ou...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

waterside glens posted:
i think most players would rather play than sit out a contract. if you give them a pay off to leave does it come out of the cap
It probably would be classed as a salary payment if it came from the club, but if DW happened to drop an envelope on the floor, and you picked it up, and if it was full of fifties, and you kept it, and the next day the club asked to be released from your contract, and you said yes... Well, I suppose that would be OK :D
waterside glens

i though danny was having a cracking game untill he got injured against the giants. it was after his departure that we fell apart
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

waterside glens posted:
i though danny was having a cracking game untill he got injured against the giants. it was after his departure that we fell apart
I wouldn't argue. I was only using him as an example because I know he has 2 more years left, whereas I know virtually nothing about other players' contract situation.
waterside glens

i think we need 4/5 games injury free to see where we really stand
thegimble

Re: End of Season Clear Out

Post by thegimble »

Moran played well on Monday. If believe that Orr will get better as well under IM and benefiting from Moran findin form.

Lets not be heaisty here and let him have a chance. If by Sept he does not improve then we might need a change.

The team was all geared to Faz and with all the talk on changes for 2006 i can see us playing a patter in the mould of the Saints. 6-7 will dictate the game and not an over reliance on the loose.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

You're missing the point of my thread. If IM decides certain people have to go, but they have time remaining on their contract, how does he get rid of them?
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

What happens alot is, you just make players available, and lets face it alot of the players we would say are not good enough would be snapped up by Salford or Leigh or most likely the Wigan reserve team Widnes, the players contract is cancelled and he moves on to sign for whoever.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

ChrisA posted:
What happens alot is, you just make players available, and lets face it alot of the players we would say are not good enough would be snapped up by Salford or Leigh or most likely the Wigan reserve team Widnes, the players contract is cancelled and he moves on to sign for whoever.
Sorry to keep dragging this one out, but if you were on £100K/yr (Orr?) and were offered half that by one of the clubs mentioned, would you go?