Credit to Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ed Osmond

Credit to Wane

Post by Ed Osmond »

I have been critical of Shaun Wane this season on this site. And not without reason I believe.
But the performances in the last four weeks have been really good. Total team work and, suddenly, the ability to throw the ball around and make use of the great attacking players we have.
Tierney has been excellent as have Tautai, Isa, Charnley and Gelling.
Not to mention Farrell and Bateman plus, of course, Williams and Smith who are making it all happen.
I would make Warrington slight favourites on Saturday but have a lot of hope that Wigan can win it.

Josie's friend

Re: Credit to Wane

Post by Josie's friend »

Ed Osmond wrote:I have been critical of Shaun Wane this season on this site. And not without reason I believe.
But the performances in the last four weeks have been really good. Total team work and, suddenly, the ability to throw the ball around and make use of the great attacking players we have.
Tierney has been excellent as have Tautai, Isa, Charnley and Gelling.
Not to mention Farrell and Bateman plus, of course, Williams and Smith who are making it all happen.
I would make Warrington slight favourites on Saturday but have a lot of hope that Wigan can win it.
Imo the team that played the semi final should be the team that makes it to the GF, Lockers is my fav player but none of them deserve dropping
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wane does deserve credit even with the s**t rugby we have produced. But considering the injuries we've had and never really had a full strength team all season to reach the grand final is a credit the coach and players. Not many teams would be able to do what we've done
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote:Wane does deserve credit even with the s**t rugby we have produced. But considering the injuries we've had and never really had a full strength team all season to reach the grand final is a credit the coach and players. Not many teams would be able to do what we've done
I agree completely. Our injuries this season has been unprecedented!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

But even the players have said that they are just no longer following his plan and playing what they see instead

So it's hard to credit him because essentially the players are now playing their own game plan

Thing is wane takes a lot of stick but everyone knows he is a huge Wigan fan and like all of us it's a dream job to be at the helm and I've no doubt he is giving everything he can. The fact of the matter is he just isn't a top coach and I feel the players we have could be 20-30% better under a better one
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

LOL I have a dream which alas the second part will not happen :eusa17:

We win the GF, Wane is replaced for 2017,
jobo

Post by jobo »

Lad's done well.

Personally, I think that he's the best coach by far in SL and his management this season, under extremely trying circumstances has been exemplary.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

jobo wrote:Lad's done well.

Personally, I think that he's the best coach by far in SL and his management this season, under extremely trying circumstances has been exemplary.
How do you come to this? Wigan have been diabolical all year the fact we are in the gf is a testament to how bad Superleague is

weve had injuries yes but so have nearly all the other teams and we also have the best set of juniors at hand of any club in Superleague

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:

How do you come to this? Wigan have been diabolical all year the fact we are in the gf is a testament to how bad Superleague is

weve had injuries yes but so have nearly all the other teams and we also have the best set of juniors at hand of any club in Superleague
I don't agree that we have been diabolical. Our attack has for most of the season, been well below par but our defence has been superb.

Sticking to the structures that Wane has drilled into the players won us the game v Hull.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:

I wouldn't put our injuries in a bracket with any other superleague club tbh. Even the much publicised Leeds crisis cleared up a touch towards the middle/bank end of the season.

I've never known anything like it! I can't say I've been chuffed with the standard of rugby this year but we've been short of McIlorum and Lockers pretty much all year and Sam Tomkins has missed more then he's played. There was a time when we had our full 8-13 missing which is sheer madness and attacking weapons such as Manfredi, Gelling and Williams have missed large chunks of games.

The thing that confused me a little was the fact that some of our worst rugby came in late July/Early August when we probably had our strongest team of the season available. It was though a lethargy hit us because we just thought we'd automatically blow teams away with a stronger side.

We need to learn to play with more intensity at times when we've not got our hands tied behind our backs and a gun against our heads. Had we done that this year we'd have walked the LLS.