Trump for President?

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Trump for President?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote:I think and hope his stance will soften,it has too really its far to extreme to be workable,now if lorry loads of bricks turn up by the Mexican border in january then that could be a clue that he's not going softer.
Its a tricky one, because the core of his appeal was that he wasnt just another mindless drone career politician intent on status quo. I think a lot will depend on his aims, has he succeeded in his task of becoming president or is he planning on a second term etc.

I think he will generally soften but i do feel like he will need to keep some of his more "out there" policies to retain credibility of the vote
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Get some money on Honey G to win XFACTOR, brains are not required anymore!!

Vote Brexit=Vote Trump=Vote Honey G :D
You prove this every time you make one of the amazing posts
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
It was a hard vote for Americans in fairness and i think trumps directness has won through, he has a lot of faults but he is certain someone who just speaks their mind unfiltered and i think people have become tired of political elites and their carefully drafted press releases

What will be interesting is whether Trump sticks to the hardline tactics that got him this far or softens
Trump was backed by Fox news and other right wing outlets and got the same kind of support farage and Co got of the Express and Mail here. Anti-establishment candidates do not get the backing of the likes of these.

He is as mainstream as they come underneath and will in my opinion be a puppet of the Republican right.

He won't be building any walls, locking up Clinton or any of the other wacky things he has come out with on the campaign trail.

He will do things like kill Obamacare and lower taxes so when he does that and doesn't build that wall or deliver for the blue collar unemployed, we will have to see what all the blue collar voters who backed him think about that.

They are going to be as angry as the Brexit crowd here when either the economy goes tits up due to a hard Brexit or we have to let in a load of Indian skilled workers to cut a trade deal with them or we get a soft Brexit and end up still in the EU in all but name.

Promises are going to get broken on both sides of the pond.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:Get some money on Honey G to win XFACTOR, brains are not required anymore!!

Coming from someone who gets their "facts" from the Daily Express that is a classic :wink:
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

medlocke wrote:

Well said dumbrian, we are more alike than you think!?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wigan_forever1985

DaveO wrote:
It was a hard vote for Americans in fairness and i think trumps directness has won through, he has a lot of faults but he is certain someone who just speaks their mind unfiltered and i think people have become tired of political elites and their carefully drafted press releases

What will be interesting is whether Trump sticks to the hardline tactics that got him this far or softens
Trump was backed by Fox news and other right wing outlets and got the same kind of support farage and Co got of the Express and Mail here. Anti-establishment candidates do not get the backing of the likes of these.

He is as mainstream as they come underneath and will in my opinion be a puppet of the Republican right.

He won't be building any walls, locking up Clinton or any of the other wacky things he has come out with on the campaign trail.

He will do things like kill Obamacare and lower taxes so when he does that and doesn't build that wall or deliver for the blue collar unemployed, we will have to see what all the blue collar voters who backed him think about that.

They are going to be as angry as the Brexit crowd here when either the economy goes tits up due to a hard Brexit or we have to let in a load of Indian skilled workers to cut a trade deal with them or we get a soft Brexit and end up still in the EU in all but name.

Promises are going to get broken on both sides of the pond.
I see where youre coming from - i mean its largely accepted that Goldman Sachs run america regardless of who is the mouthpiece at the mic president.

I do think trump differs though - i mean he isnt a career politician and while he will have been in and around them due to his wealth and background i think he could still be an "unstable" puppet if he is one.

Its annoying really as i dont know which i would rather have, a Donald Trump who sticks to his campaign or the reality that election campaigns are more like a talent contest for people to kartwheel about but are just lies that effectively render a true vote useless
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Its annoying really as i dont know which i would rather have, a Donald Trump who sticks to his campaign or the reality that election campaigns are more like a talent contest for people to kartwheel about but are just lies that effectively render a true vote useless
Saw a good comment on the Guardian web site:

The proof is now here.

This year will go down in history for this reason.

That is, if one has enough money and the right connections, and one can lie, cheat, if necessary scream sexist and racist messages and most importantly, shout the loudest for longest telling people what they want to hear, is really is possible to provoke mass numbers of people into complete and total stupidity.

I don't think Brexit or voting for Trump was anti-establishment at all and for us this bit of the above is pertinent "shout the loudest for longest telling people what they want to hear".

In the US Freedland has written a good article about this here

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-87183058

and one point struck me which was this:

"It’s not good enough to say this is all about the economic anxiety of those who have been left behind, though that clearly played a part in winning rustbelt states for Trump. But it’s an incomplete explanation because Trump did not only win those voters. He won 63% of white men and 52% of white women. Not all of those were the left behind. A lot of them were people drawn to a message that was, in part and however thinly coded, about reinstating white privilege."

63% of white men and 52% of white women registering a protest vote against the establishment? I don't think so.
Wigan_forever1985

you cant really argue with that can you
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote:
Saw a good comment on the Guardian web site:

The proof is now here.

This year will go down in history for this reason.

That is, if one has enough money and the right connections, and one can lie, cheat, if necessary scream sexist and racist messages and most importantly, shout the loudest for longest telling people what they want to hear, is really is possible to provoke mass numbers of people into complete and total stupidity.

I don't think Brexit or voting for Trump was anti-establishment at all and for us this bit of the above is pertinent "shout the loudest for longest telling people what they want to hear".

In the US Freedland has written a good article about this here

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-87183058

and one point struck me which was this:

"It’s not good enough to say this is all about the economic anxiety of those who have been left behind, though that clearly played a part in winning rustbelt states for Trump. But it’s an incomplete explanation because Trump did not only win those voters. He won 63% of white men and 52% of white women. Not all of those were the left behind. A lot of them were people drawn to a message that was, in part and however thinly coded, about reinstating white privilege."

63% of white men and 52% of white women registering a protest vote against the establishment? I don't think so.
Jesus, you can always rely on the Grauniad for bleeding heart liberal bollox
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Was Clinton a fit choice for a presidential candidate?