GF motivation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

GF motivation

Post by morley pie eater »

http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... l-analysis

Check this out. In particular:

"Many believe the most vitriolic of criticism of Wigan in 2016, of their attack and of their players and of Wane himself, has come not from journalists, commentators and former stars but from among the ranks of the club’s own fans."
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
thegimble

Re: GF motivation

Post by thegimble »

He is right. After the Widnes game I wanted him gone thought he would have gone tbh.

But as he said we do not know the half of it. And we hardly know any of it. When most of the cap has sat on the injury table for most of the season he has a point. Ironically last month saw the most settled backline we have had all season. 1 out of position and 2 others not making the 17 if all are fit.

Just glad IL is not the LUFC owner.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

morley pie eater wrote: http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... l-analysis

"Many believe the most vitriolic of criticism of Wigan in 2016, of their attack and of their players and of Wane himself, has come not from journalists, commentators and former stars but from among the ranks of the club’s own fans."
....or 1 inparticular! :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... l-analysis

....or 1 inparticular! :wink:
Do you think that Wane had photocopied those posts for motivation and put them on the wall. :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

It's a good article and I picked up on Wane's "majority" comment in the post match interview before I read that just now.

What is interesting to me is the fact social media highlighted the criticism of the poor attack to the extent it got through to the club, coach and players. Good!

In years gone by they would have as the article say just got it off a jounrno who might be easily dismissed far more so than the fans as they would have, as the article also says, possibly been a bit more restrained in their criticism.

There is a counter argument to all this though and that is the famous quote "If you listen to the fans, you'll find yourself sitting with them" and you would hope Wane would actually have a plan of how to improve matters and wasn't just reacting to frustrated fans opinions.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Absolute nonsense lol I thought Wane was learning with his humble post match reaction (I guess staff and fans are different or was he disingenuous) but he clearly has some way to go. Wane does hate being criticised. Hence his media walk out which was pathetic. Sorry but fans do know a hell of a lot re what happens behind the scene not just the adversity Wane likes to dwell upon.

Any coach, and player should be their own biggest critic and fans who pay their hard earned are perfectly entitled to voice their opinions, Even the club do behind closed doors.

I thought the Wigan Way was a no excuse culture! Sam Powell is probably a better hooker than scrum half so mentioning him was nonsense and doubles standards because on that basis he should have been in the press saying fully understand Hampshire playing in an alien position and he really should play half back. It was not right then and it is not right now.

The squad, the youngsters was the making of 2016!

Stop crying like a baby!

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I find it odd that any criticism is directed at social media.

Surely it is the paying public who are entitled to air their views on the team?

Or does Wane think we should all bow our heads and not utter a word of criticism. Does he think himself and the team immune to such?

I am delighted to hear that our problems were down to injury and look forward to next year when we are fit......
TrueBlueWarrior

I didn't get the feeling Wane was saying they were immune to criticism at all, just the fact that some of it might have been unfair and obviously in the end a bit OTT!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It clearly cut Wane up because why else would he mention it on GF day and days after. Truth be told I think he was under pressure from within after Widnes and the feedback from the fans survey. He certainly needs to stop whining and concentrate on the win because that is what matters. Man up Wane!
TrueBlueWarrior

cpwigan wrote:It clearly cut Wane up because why else would he mention it on GF day and days after. Truth be told I think he was under pressure from within after Widnes and the feedback from the fans survey. He certainly needs to stop whining and concentrate on the win because that is what matters. Man up Wane!
I don't think saying 'majority' of fans stuck with us is whining or he needs to man up really? Is it?