GF motivation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jobo

Re: GF motivation

Post by jobo »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I didn't get the feeling Wane was saying they were immune to criticism at all, just the fact that some of it might have been unfair and obviously in the end a bit OTT!!
Totally agree.

Of course fan's have a right to criticise and I'd guess the criticism hurts but some fan's go way, way over the top.

This isn't particularly unusual, or unique to the social message board era. Back in the day, the dougie stand moaners were just as good at finding fault and laying the blame as some of the fans are today, without taking into consideration the circumstances.

I think this is because sport being a form of emotional release leads to some people going a tad nutty. :o
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

Bilko's comments on WISH FM about it being an awful season obviously struck a chord. I've seen those comments referenced a few times in the press and on social media by people at the club.

So there we have it. Bilko gave em' all the kick up the ar$e they needed. Well done Bilko lad :D
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:It clearly cut Wane up because why else would he mention it on GF day and days after. Truth be told I think he was under pressure from within after Widnes and the feedback from the fans survey. He certainly needs to stop whining and concentrate on the win because that is what matters. Man up Wane!
I don't think saying 'majority' of fans stuck with us is whining or he needs to man up really? Is it?
All Wane has done is said what he felt. He is right the side on social media has been hammered. How many posts over 1000 on here alone over the season has criticised him.

He makes 1 remark live on tv and some seem to take it to heart. Imagine it 1000 times.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Jimmy Birts wrote:Bilko's comments on WISH FM about it being an awful season obviously struck a chord. I've seen those comments referenced a few times in the press and on social media by people at the club.

So there we have it. Bilko gave em' all the kick up the ar$e they needed. Well done Bilko lad :D
Bilko was right to say what he wanted. It was apart from 6-8 games a shocking season. Luckily 4 of the good games were the last 4.

All the criticism was not wrong most was fair.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

The journalist is saying that Wane may have used fans' criticisms as motivation, possibly a first in the social media age. I don't see a suggestion that Wane was whinging.

Fans clearly have a right to express their views, however extreme or ill-informed some of them may be.

My main comment would be that some not only think they know better than SW, but repeat their views so often that, at times it drags a great forum down. For some it seems to be all about being the centre of attention.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:The journalist is saying that Wane may have used fans' criticisms as motivation, possibly a first in the social media age. I don't see a suggestion that Wane was whinging.
He was certainly having a pop in his interview with that majority comment. Whether you class that as winging I don't know but the comments clearly irked him enough for it to be at top of his mind just after winning the GF.

As to using fans comments as motivation, it depends on how he did it as to it being sensible. If he said something along the lines of "Look lads the fans have had enough of this rubbish and they are right, lets buck up" OK but if (as I suspect) it was a "What do they know..." type of comment he is basically having a go at a large section of the supporters. If so at best he should just have kept that to himself. He doesn't get the luxury of the paying spectator to whinge in public however justified he might feel!

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:The journalist is saying that Wane may have used fans' criticisms as motivation, possibly a first in the social media age. I don't see a suggestion that Wane was whinging.
He was certainly having a pop in his interview with that majority comment. Whether you class that as winging I don't know but the comments clearly irked him enough for it to be at top of his mind just after winning the GF.

As to using fans comments as motivation, it depends on how he did it as to it being sensible. If he said something along the lines of "Look lads the fans have had enough of this rubbish and they are right, lets buck up" OK but if (as I suspect) it was a "What do they know..." type of comment he is basically having a go at a large section of the supporters. If so at best he should just have kept that to himself. He doesn't get the luxury of the paying spectator to whinge in public however justified he might feel!
I think that's right.

I can understand the emotional relief and his need to release it, but he has inadvertently insulted quite a lot of the supporters in doing so.

I fully suspect the motivation was along the lines of:

"Lot's of our supporters think we are bloody awful, let's show them how little they know"

rather than

"Come on guys, we are better than this, let's prove to our fans how we can play"

Now personally I couldn't care less which one he used, a Wigan victory is worth far more to me than a coaches opinion of the me, and as long as it works, all's good- but that's a seperate issue.

Fundamentally we still have problems. Motivation, determination and a willingness to play for the coach are not them.

No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I'll tell you exactly what he would have said to all his staff. "We're being written off by everyone, even a lot of our fans. I believe in you, we believe in us, we know what we have gone through and what we can do, F??K them, lets do it"

And wasn't he right? It'll be interesting to see what comes out at tomorrow nights end of season dinner.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well I'm not insulted one bit.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote:I'll tell you exactly what he would have said to all his staff. "We're being written off by everyone, even a lot of our fans. I believe in you, we believe in us, we know what we have gone through and what we can do, F??K them, lets do it"

And wasn't he right? It'll be interesting to see what comes out at tomorrow nights end of season dinner.
Can't wait ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan