Matty Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
South Sydney Warrior

Re: Matty Smith

Post by South Sydney Warrior »

Interesting move. Hadn't really heard any of it until the actual announcement. Completely forgot that Leuluai was returning, are we worried that he's maybe a little too old?

I think he could be great for Williams developing his role as he provides that really old school halfback play, plus he knows the ins and outs of the club and no doubt his experience over in NZ will make him a more well rounded experienced player.
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

we do need a kicker that plays 80 minutes, this i think is a massive issue for next season. are there any serious rumors for players that can kick?

one of our back up kickers was Josh and he is off as well
5miler

Post by 5miler »

Good luck over at the dark side Matty. Just not on game days against Wigan.
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

All the best Matty. He had his limitations as a HB but decent for us over the course of his Wigan career.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

I hope he is going to kick their goals :D
Always gave 100% for us and helped us win silverware.
I'll wish him good health, but not good luck :D
FOYS
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

si_bax wrote:we do need a kicker that plays 80 minutes, this i think is a massive issue for next season. are there any serious rumors for players that can kick?

one of our back up kickers was Josh and he is off as well
The only one I can think of is Shorrocks but it's too soon for him just yet surely?
Rochdale Warrior

Post by Rochdale Warrior »

Worst kept secret in rugby league now out, good luck Matty from me , given us 100% this season , topped off with winners ring, and good contract so presume everyone happy, the team will keep evolving it certainly has this season.
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

Wigan have just tweeted this in reply to the Matty Smith announcement

"We're not done in the transfer market for today just yet..."
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

si_bax wrote:Wigan have just tweeted this in reply to the Matty Smith announcement

"We're not done in the transfer market for today just yet..."
Escare!
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Loved Smith's attitude and commitment. He won us a fair few games, and we needed him to get over the line this season.

His goal-kicking hasn't ever been good enough though. When he kicks you 'hope' it's going to go over. When previous Wigan kickers kicked at goal, you 'knew' it was going over - Botica, Farrell, Richards.

It makes such a difference having a top-class goal-kicker, as it puts more pressure on the opposition and relieves some of the pressure on your own side.

We don't have anyone 'in-house' who is good enough to be that top-class kicker. How good is Shorrocks at goal-kicking, and more importantly, is he going to be a regular 80-minute player next season? Is there a Richards waiting in the wings (pun intended), or do we need to recruit someone who's a goal-kicker?

Smith gave it his all at Wigan, and can only wish him the best (without wishing any good luck on Saints of course!).
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.