Matty Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Re: Matty Smith

Post by butt monkey »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:It's well known I'm not smiths greatest fan but what I would say is he is an impeccable professional and a role model to young players in terms of how he conducts himself

He was never dynamic enough for me, but I appreciate he has played his part in the clubs successes
Bob on with that assessment

Good but not great, a player who fans will remember because he won games with drop goals rather than some brilliant individual or off the cuff play. Honest pro, rarely missed games or put his foot in his mouth.

If it is correct that TL plays on the opposite side to Williams then we will have a more balanced attack, probably a lot more pace and willingness to run with the ball and support the ball carrier
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nitsua wrote:
old hooker wrote:I have never doubted Smiths commitment to the cause, just his lack of ability, glad hes gone.
I don't think "glad he's gone" was necessary or appropriate, as Matty
always gave 100% effort in every game
I agree
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote: Not sure where these young half-backs are. Is it Powell, who has been played at hooker all season and never impressed in the halves? Is it Hampshire who has been out on loan and could only get in the Cas side regularly on the wing? Is it Shorrocks who has mostly been a reserve hooker but on the occasions when he played, neither kicked or played well?
As I said in the press release:

With George Williams firmly established as an important First Team player and Thomas Leuluai re-joining the Club shortly in great form together with the emergence of Jake Shorrocks and the cover that Sam Powell brings, we felt that the time was right in view of his tremendous service to Wigan for Matty to take up this new opportunity and secure his long-term future.

The club clearly think they have four halfbacks and had it given Smith the same deal as he has got at Saints Powell and Shorrocks may as well have left.

Had he been given a contract Powell would not get a game as TL would be interchange at 9 with Micky Mac.

Leaving Powell out in 2017 after this season???? I think Mick Macs injury and this resulting in Powell's undoubted standing within the club after this seasons efforts from him has made that impossible.

Saints offer for Smith added to that and the fact we signed TL gave the club a way forward. Might be harsh but I can see the logic.
I really hope that our young players do come on but it only made sense to let Matty Smith go if there was a ready-made replacement being effectively kept out of the team?
I think the club also have taken note of the complaints about a poor attack and may feel TL is the better option to address this. A lot of blame was laid at Smiths feet for our poor attack with the only excuse being he was playing to orders (when a senior player should be able to know when to disobey them).

old hooker

Post by old hooker »

josie andrews wrote:
nitsua wrote:
old hooker wrote:I have never doubted Smiths commitment to the cause, just his lack of ability, glad hes gone.
I don't think "glad he's gone" was necessary or appropriate, as Matty
I agree

Could not care less whether you think it is appropriate or not, that is how I feel, as I said he no doubt gave his best and I respect that but as a player he is less than average and I repeat I am glad he is no longer at the club
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

old hooker wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
nitsua wrote: I don't think "glad he's gone" was necessary or appropriate, as Matty
I agree

Could not care less whether you think it is appropriate or not, that is how I feel, as I said he no doubt gave his best and I respect that but as a player he is less than average and I repeat I am glad he is no longer at the club
"Less than average" is a rather unfortunate comment about someone who guided the side around most of the year (only missed one game - which we lost !) and won a number of games for us off his own back. Was also influential in winning MOM against the NZ Kiwis in the deciding Test match - not normally something "a lack of ability" is noted for at the highest International level.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

DaveO wrote:
Southern Softy wrote: Not sure where these young half-backs are. Is it Powell, who has been played at hooker all season and never impressed in the halves? Is it Hampshire who has been out on loan and could only get in the Cas side regularly on the wing? Is it Shorrocks who has mostly been a reserve hooker but on the occasions when he played, neither kicked or played well?
As I said in the press release:

With George Williams firmly established as an important First Team player and Thomas Leuluai re-joining the Club shortly in great form together with the emergence of Jake Shorrocks and the cover that Sam Powell brings, we felt that the time was right in view of his tremendous service to Wigan for Matty to take up this new opportunity and secure his long-term future.

The club clearly think they have four halfbacks and had it given Smith the same deal as he has got at Saints Powell and Shorrocks may as well have left.

Had he been given a contract Powell would not get a game as TL would be interchange at 9 with Micky Mac.

Leaving Powell out in 2017 after this season???? I think Mick Macs injury and this resulting in Powell's undoubted standing within the club after this seasons efforts from him has made that impossible.

Saints offer for Smith added to that and the fact we signed TL gave the club a way forward. Might be harsh but I can see the logic.
I really hope that our young players do come on but it only made sense to let Matty Smith go if there was a ready-made replacement being effectively kept out of the team?
I think the club also have taken note of the complaints about a poor attack and may feel TL is the better option to address this. A lot of blame was laid at Smiths feet for our poor attack with the only excuse being he was playing to orders (when a senior player should be able to know when to disobey them).
If I follow the logic here (and I'm not sure I do) - why then did the club resign TL when he was 31 and thus definitely take the place of a younger player? He didn't work out in the halves last time, although he was a belter of a hooker but let's assume he will fit in in the halves this time and play well. So if MM is hooker and TL is in the halves along with George - surely the younger players find themselves in the same position as if Matty Smith was still here. Or do we continue to play Powell at hooker and leave MM out - don't think so. Or will Powell play in the halves? Seen him play there and I can't believe that will work.
It still looks like a handy way to save some cash to me but will unfortunately weaken the team at the same time.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote:
If I follow the logic here (and I'm not sure I do) - why then did the club resign TL when he was 31 and thus definitely take the place of a younger player? He didn't work out in the halves last time, although he was a belter of a hooker but let's assume he will fit in in the halves this time and play well. So if MM is hooker and TL is in the halves along with George - surely the younger players find themselves in the same position as if Matty Smith was still here. Or do we continue to play Powell at hooker and leave MM out - don't think so. Or will Powell play in the halves? Seen him play there and I can't believe that will work.
It still looks like a handy way to save some cash to me but will unfortunately weaken the team at the same time.
I think they singed TL before Saints came in for Smith and in doing so may have prompted Saints to chance their arm with an offer for Smith.

Either way it's not the same having kept Smith because had we done so already having signed TL, Powell would be the obvious one to miss out.

I don't think the club planned to sell Smith at all even when they signed TL but events led them to do so. First being an offer for Smith they (rightly IMO) would not match which also lets Smith extend his career and secondly the emergence of Powell (and to a lesser extent Shorrocks).

The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Has it been said if there was a transfer fee or did we just release him from the remainder of his contract?
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

The booze hound wrote:Has it been said if there was a transfer fee or did we just release him from the remainder of his contract?
He said on wish fm that when the rumours started there was nothing to it, he then spoke to IL who said the club is willing to let him out of the remainder of his contract. From the list of club interested he chose saints.

IMO he was told by IL he would be going and not Matty seeking a move. The club seems to have no problem with players leaving, Josh and Iain Thornley got offered contracts they knew they would refuse. Strangely Flower re-signed so he must be on a mars bar and a packet of crisps now a week.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Josie's friend wrote: Josh and Iain Thornley got offered contracts they knew they would refuse. Strangely Flower re-signed so he must be on a mars bar and a packet of crisps now a week.

So we encouraged Josh to leave because... buying an equivalent replacement winger would be cheaper than paying him a bit more money? Really? :conf: