My worry for next year's squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
si_bax

Re: My worry for next year's squad

Post by si_bax »

Caboosegg wrote: When did we become the fans of wanting player cut loose the moment they are out long term.

Even stains stuck by there players.
i agree, i am happy with the players we currently have in our squad and think we will go well next year. As long as they sort out the players we dont have in our squad, cover at centre and a kicker
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
When did we become the fans of wanting player cut loose the moment they are out long term.

Even stains stuck by there players.
Where is the evidence that is the case? It was the exact opposite with Clubb when it came out he needed another operation with people hoping it didn't end his career.

I was quite glad in a way JT was sidelined as it gave us a good indicator as to why his form was poor and as one of my favourite players I hope he comes back stronger.

Others may not be so keen on him anyway (one poster in particular!) and all (bar the "happy clappers" who think every Wigan player is unquestionably brilliant) have different opinions on different players.

JT's injury doesn't seem a chronic one but Mossop's does, so in a salary cap era should we stick by him regardless?

In other words judge each case on its merits.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Agree Dave. If a player is carrying a chronic injury Why retain him.
To play when carrying an injury or when prone to injury is no good for the players future or the team. The club is a business not a convalescent home. Nobody wants to offload players wily nilly but the club has to be realistic
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'm sure the club is being realistic they have the full medical details and advice where we don't.
Prof Brooks is now a Director of the Club and I'm sure he will have done a realistic assessment of those players' medical injuries and futures.
I trust his judgement on the medical side of matters.
If Sam T, Joel, Micky M and Clubby can make full recoveries and get back into top form we will have a formidable squad 2017.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wiganer Ted wrote:I'm sure the club is being realistic they have the full medical details and advice where we don't.
Prof Brooks is now a Director of the Club and I'm sure he will have done a realistic assessment of those players' medical injuries and futures.
If Sam T, Joel, Micky M and Clubby can make full recoveries and get back into top form we will have a formidable squad 2017.
Quite so Ted. Can't wait
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

pieater-alex wrote:My worry for next years squad is facing Cronulla.

We need to go up several gears to keep it competitive.
It's not a worry it's a challenge and professionals should rise to it!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Were doing ok and being very competitive with the Broncos last year, until MM got carried off. Were also missing several others, with players out of position to make the mix even more difficult.
And the season before (again v Broncos) we almost beat them until Joel's penalty, that still today nobody knows why it was given ?
It's the Sharks first ever WCC so they'll be concerned at playing over here in conditions they just aren't used to in our mid winter, and against ourselves who they know very little about. Could be a similar proposition to the first WCC 1987 Manly match at CP.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nitsua wrote:
SJ wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote:I'm sure the club is being realistic they have the full medical details and advice where we don't.
Quite so Ted. Can't wait
I'm with you both on this!!

I've never known so many pessimists as Wigan supporters.
It was the same at the end of last season and Hey we are 2016 Champions of Super League. :smil: :eusa1:
BTW nitsua, Lewis Tierney doesn't know if his 'dad' was there at the GF. Didn't seem bothered whether or not :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Which makes me think that we should be more circumspect when referring to the family tie. His dad is Mr Tierney.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I've no worries about 2017.
We have an excellent first team squad with quality cover like almost never before.
Goal kicking is an unknown at this stage but the club do seem on top of most things so I'd expect they'll have this sorted in four months time.
Looking forward to the new season already.
When do season tickets go on sale?