My worry for next year's squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
sheepsteeth

Re: My worry for next year's squad

Post by sheepsteeth »

I take the point regarding wages but ask the following

Isn't the vast majority of sams wages excluded as he's our marquee?

Isn't the vast majority of lockers wages excluded as he's been at the club so long?

Can you have more than 1 player with long service who's wages are exempt like lockers? And if so do any other players qualify?

Does no one else think as I do that a good rest might see lockers back near his best next year similar to gaz ellis?

When can Sam get back in training? Because I think I resting the knee will be beneficial as long as he gets some sort of pre season.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think the biggest injury Sam Tomkins has is his attitude since he came back
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I think the biggest injury Sam Tomkins has is his attitude since he came back
This..I was one of those really chuffed when Wigan resigned him but his antics on field seemingly forever arguing with any ref,as I've said before if it where me in the middle I'd allow him at best a couple of goes at me,before invited him to meet Binn..Mr Sin Bin..and if he carried on afterwards we'll you see we're I would go :D

His general attitude needs to change.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

My worry is who will kick goals?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wes wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:Two Tomkins
Lockers

3 players. Wonder what percentage of the Salary Cap they take up?

The squad then padded out with cheap and cheerful youngsters.
I'm right with you I mean you only have to look at the padding!
Gelling
Farrell
Bateman
Burgess
Mcillorum
Manfredi
Escare
Club
Sutton
FPN
Tautai
Williams
Etc etc etc they are all cheap and shocking ..........
Brilliant Wes!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wes wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:Two Tomkins
Lockers

3 players. Wonder what percentage of the Salary Cap they take up?

The squad then padded out with cheap and cheerful youngsters.
I'm right with you I mean you only have to look at the padding!
Gelling
Farrell
Bateman
Burgess
Mcillorum
Manfredi
Escare
Club
Sutton
FPN
Tautai
Williams
Etc etc etc they are all cheap and shocking ..........
Brilliant Wes!!
I know how awful has the signings been over the last 3 years.

Look at that Willie ISA will not play much and could not get his place in the Widnes side (YES you know who you are I remember that comment). Ironically that player not good enough for Widnes (though injured at the time) was very clever signing.

Most wanted Smith gone, Budgie is a better winger than Josh though Josh is one of the best in SL Budgie for me is the best. Sarge had his haters as well up until this Summer when he announced he was leaving. Always been a decent player hope he gets a nightmare first season and is back the next.

Escare now do people think that the Catalan player is what we are getting. Every Wigan new player in the last few season improve. Biggest example was that penalty machine TT, even FPN had his critics 2 games in with us.

Saturday needs to be a reminder to all fans WE KNOW NOTHING.
SJ

Post by SJ »

East Stand Faithful wrote:My worry is who will kick goals?
Mine too A good kicker "place " and "field " combined must surely be a priority for the club. I like the look of Wes' team with the added proviso that M M is fully fit after his serious injury. If not he should be off loaded with J Tomkins and SOL elevated to "up stairs " Sam well hopefully get a good rest will see him thro' If not off load. No room for sentiment
I'm not overly concerned about the team for next year. The future looks very bright.

Just as an aside. I'm of the opinion that RL as improved beyond recognition from when I first started watching the game coming up to nie on 60 years 40 has a season ticket holder and I'm still learning the finer points of the game from contributors and on this forum and long may it continue
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

It's pretty easy to write people careers off from the sidelines.

If left to some fans we would have a churn rate of around 10 players a season, with many not lasting more than a handful of games. Not really an environment to develop a team.

SOL demonstrated his value in the GF. If he plays 19 games again next year and appears in the GF then that's money well spent. And on that subject how much money is actually spent no one knows so speculation about salary cap is just that).

When he doesn't play it gives players like Jake a chance to develop - win win if you ask me.

Sam T. Let's write him off shall we after a season coming back from major knee reconstruction and continuing to play whilst clearly injured in order to help the team.

I'm really pleased some of the people here are not in charge of recruitment otherwise we would have difficulty attracting anyone to sign if that's how we treat players. Same with Joel, clearly struggling to play his usual game due to knee injury, but played on and tried to adapt his game to help the team. What do the fans do - respect that attitude and team spirit or bin him off at the first opportunity?

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think you will find fans are a pretty tolerant bunch, everyone has their likes and dislikes and certain things they would change

Sam T for example - firstly i criticized the decision to bring him back as the marquee player - i still do, i think spending heavy on a player who had consistent injury problems which has had visible effects on their abilities is too risky.

When he came back everyone got behind him, however he has since turned a lot of fans against him with his behavior, not his playing, his behavior. Fans are willing to give him chance to get injury free but they wont accept poor sportsmanship on and off the field.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Seriously its not even next season yet.

J Tomkins has been carrying a knee injury alot longer than his time out. He made it worse by putting his hand up to play when the team was busted up.

A Fit JT is a asset. Him and gelling came up with some amazing tries when he was at second row.

There is a question on hiw he will go know hes wants to move to the main pack (prop/LF) but if his knees heal he deserves a chance.

When did we become the fans of wanting player cut loose the moment they are out long term.

Even stains stuck by there players.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.