Looks like Sam Powell as starting hooker this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Looks like Sam Powell as starting hooker this season

Post by southportcdm »

Disappointing news about Mickey Mac missing at least the first few weeks of the season and I hope it doesn't drag on much longer. It must be very frustrating but his welfare has to come first. At least we have Sam in place having played so well last season. With that experience under his belt I'm sure he can play even better this time around. I think Mickey will be used as an impact player this season and we're in the good position of not having to rush him back so long as Sam can stay fit. Very hopeful of an exciting year ahead and I just hope we don't get any more injuries before the start of the season.
fozzieskem

Re: Looks like Sam Powell as starting hooker this season

Post by fozzieskem »

Given that injury i fear it would have finished most players careers,i still get sickened thinking back to that night and seeing his foot flapping around,it does seem to be dragging on though i do hope there's no long term doubt with MM.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Sam P deserves to be first choice hooker based on last season's performances. Micky's injury was horrendous but I think the lad will make a full recovery due to his toughness.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Good stuff, a far better Hooker than McIlorum, a fan favourite only because he tackles hard :exc:
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Sam came of age last season and I would argue he out performed the previous seasons Mickey Mac

One thing about Powell his tackles may not draw the oooo's from the fans but he makes them stick are rarely gives away a penalty

He could be a roby type hooker and be a dam good one IMO
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

My recollection is that when SP first got into the side, that he did, in fact, give away quite a few penalties. But that improved a lot as the season went on.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

To be honest I'm with medlocke on this one

The hooking position is Powell's to lose.

If McIlorum shows enough form and fitness to be able to play 80 minutes then all well and good BUT, I am not sure exactly what he would bring to the team simply coming off the bench seeing as Powell played so well without rotation.

Maybe this is the beginning of the end for McIlorum at Wigan after his testimonial? :doz:

Leeds have long been suitors for him and not exactly currently got a player they can rely on for that position. (And yes I do know they signed someone called Matt Parcell but he is an "unknown" as of yet)
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Looks like another one on make or break season?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

butt monkey wrote:
If McIlorum shows enough form and fitness to be able to play 80 minutes then all well and good BUT, I am not sure exactly what he would bring to the team simply coming off the bench seeing as Powell played so well without rotation.
Mickey Mac wanted to play 80 minutes and Can, it is Wane that making him only do 40 im presuming to be more of a impact.

i agree it is Sam position to lose at the moment, but thats the same with any injury to a player.

i really do hope that it isnt the end for micky though, he is a very entertaining player who just before the WC challenege had had some very good games.

and mickey mac and Big frank in your line must cause players to worry slightly
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.