BILLINGE

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

BILLINGE

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Having a discussion with someone about where Billinge is..... I said Wigan.... but apprantly it's in St Helens. If that's the case the majority of so called Wiganers are plastic scourers being born in Billinge hospital... very worrying... please someone tell me I'm wrong

Wormburner

Re: BILLINGE

Post by Wormburner »

St Helens :(
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

This is what us Bone Fide Billingers have had to put up with since some inconsequential Scouse tosser in 1974 drew a line through our village and claimed half (the Southern bit if you like) was to be called Merseyside, hence St Helens. All my mates down that end were expected to call themselves.....God, it's painful to write it, call themselves Sentelliners. Of course they never did but all the nesters who moved in, and there were thousands of 'em from Liverpool and Sen Tellins were keen to embrace this peripheral dross.
Incidentally, this is about the same time as the Billinge Dialect started to go into decline and now only gets used by us older folk. Even kids born here can't follow their grandparents conversations in some cases.
I could go on and on but, YES, WIGAN WATCHER, you are wrong, and thanks for an opportunity to have another go at this topic.
By the way, the other half of Billinge was supposed to align itself to Manchester, with Wigan but we always used Billinge Wigan Lancs as an address.

joeb

Post by joeb »

In metropolitan borough of Wigan with wn5 post code and 01942 phone code so me thinks Wigan
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Higher end is in Wigan, Chapel end in St. Helens. My aunt lived near the Brown Cow she paid her council tax to St. Helens. There are about 10,000 residents, 7,000 of these come under St. Helens. Nothing to do with Merseyside it was split even when it was Lancashire.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Wigan Watcher wrote:Having a discussion with someone about where Billinge is..... I said Wigan.... but apprantly it's in St Helens. If that's the case the majority of so called Wiganers are plastic scourers being born in Billinge hospital... very worrying... please someone tell me I'm wrong
What you have to worry about if you were born in Billinge Hospital is the baby swapping. Your mam & dad could be from Wigan and then you could be swapped with another baby whose mam & dad were from St.Helens lol
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

joeb wrote:In metropolitan borough of Wigan with wn5 post code and 01942 phone code so me thinks Wigan
The majority of the phone numbers are 01744 which people assume means Sen Tellins.
744 was originally the Billinge exchange and as Sen Tellins didn't have an exchange (or a decent rugby team) they pinched ours and claimed it rather than using Warrington, Prescott, or any other telephone exchange.
WN5 encompasses all of the original Billinge area and actually includes part of Carr Mill Dam so WN5 almost reaches the East Lancs Road. Bandit territory.

pedro

Post by pedro »

the hospital was in the wigan part WN5, so we stayed wiganers :wink:
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I'm convinced that the Billinge I know and love is truly in Wigan and I'm guessing like many more that just because some faceless people decide to move a boarder counts for nothing

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I've always associated Billinge with Wigan.

I have friends who live in Haydock who say they belong to Wigan!!

I'm from Wigan, Lancashire & not Greater Manchester
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan