Off a Cronulla forum

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Off a Cronulla forum

Post by Wintergreen »

Our pack will make absolute mince meat of the Wigan pack. Birdy, Val, Loots and Feki will run rings around their backs, or straight over them.

The WCC will be a walk in the park.

The standard of Super League is abysmal.
That takes care of the team talk then
:D
josie andrews

Re: Off a Cronulla forum

Post by josie andrews »

Wintergreen wrote:
Our pack will make absolute mince meat of the Wigan pack. Birdy, Val, Loots and Feki will run rings around their backs, or straight over them.

I'm pinching this!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Sometimes especially at the sharp end i think it comes down to attitude as much as anything else. Theres no doubt about it the standard of SL is a lot lower than NRL but that doesn't make all the teams in SL not worthy and i think we would compete for honors in the NRL if we were over there playing week in and week out at that level.

We (i think) are more than a match from Cronulla in terms of talent, they have some big names but so do we, williams would kill it in the NRL and Burgess showed for souths he could complete there. Lockers has been one of the best in the world over the last 5 years and Tommy L was playing that level just last year.

The big difference is they will come expecting to win and play play with that arrogance and confidence. We need to match that, but what English teams tend to do when facing "superior" opposition (this goes for all sports both national and domestic teams) we play to not lose.

It seems systematically inbred in us to fear, and we often try and mitigate opponents than beat them and invariably we come up short. I think its just in our mentality because if a sportsmen/team does show these traits they are often labelled "arrogant" or "big headed" and quickly fall out of favor with the public.

To put it bluntly when you have a guy running at you hard with the ball you have 2 options, stand there and wait dig your heels in and hope that you can land a decent shot. Or you can run at him and smash him to pieces we need to do more of the latter ;)
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wintergreen wrote:

funny, i thought our pack is the best its been in a few years, my concern and hopefully unfounded it that Powell may struggle at 80 minute hooker vs a NRL side.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ian b

Post by ian b »

Wigan went to Australia in 94 and give it them with out there first choice props and if i remember rightly Brisbane had 9 or 10 of the Australian team in their side. I watched a team that defended brutally hard and then turned them over. I believe its mentality more than anything. Every reason under the sun has been given over the years but the fact remains the Aussies are human and its long over due we stopped rolling over for them
endoman

Post by endoman »

Would be nice to see guile and not brawn win this. Couldn't help but chuckle at his. http://giphy.com/gifs/26xBCkim4Ff8LyhaM
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Wintergreen wrote:

Clued up this guy... Most of them ain't playing!!
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I've seen comments on their forum which are pathetic but ultimately we need to prove them wrong. One of their fans thought they could've travelled with their reserves and still won at a canter.

I'd love it if we could get the win tomorrow.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I think their comparison is similar to our thoughts if we were playing a French team, other than Catalans of course.
We wouldn't expect to be beaten by Toulouse for example, and I think their thoughts that the divide between NRL and SL is similar that mentality.
C'mon Wigan we've got to show were no pushover like these grubs are thinking we are.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Panchitta Marra wrote:I think their comparison is similar to our thoughts if we were playing a French team, other than Catalans of course.
We wouldn't expect to be beaten by Toulouse for example, and I think their thoughts that the divide between NRL and SL is similar that mentality.
C'mon Wigan we've got to show were no pushover like these grubs are thinking we are.
I'd like to think there is nowhere near as big a gap between us and Cronulla as there would be between us and Toulouse but maybe you're right.

I think my thoughts on this game are that given the comparative strengths of the teams, we would win maybe 2 or 3 games if we played them 10 times. We're outsiders and we have it all to do when it comes to limiting the damage their pack could inflict but if we can, I think our backs could give us a shout.

One thing I'm nervous about is that we go too aggressive too early. I think one of our main hopes is that Cronulla are a bit complacent. If we go in all guns blazing, picking fights then we could very easily shake them out of any complacency very quickly.

We need sensible heads IMO. Play it very tough, defend for your life, hit hard etc but don't go looking for trouble. As fans I also hope we put them under pressure but I can't see it. It'll do my nut in if they get clapped on for the warm up! Give them hell pre match and during it and then give them all the respect they're due after the match.