Wane on Sam vs Escare

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Wane on Sam vs Escare

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Dunno if anyone caught this in Wigantoday but when said;
“It’s going to be an easy choice,” said Wane. “I like Morgan, he’s doing a great job, and I know what Sam can do – he’s got credits in the bank with me. He’s a good player, so is Morgan.”
Sounds to me like Escare will have to roam around the side to find a spot.

I hope it comes down to form
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Re: Wane on Sam vs Escare

Post by moto748 »

With Manfredi a long-term absentee, surely Tierney would be dropped to accommodate Escare on the wing if ST came back at full-back?

Escare offers so much (not least, goal-kicking), plus, with him and ST on the pitch, the option is there to swap positions around during a game if desired.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

They must be old credits for Sam as he's done naff all since he's been back, Escare for me any day of the week
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

There always seems to be a much closer bond between Wane and Sam then any other player.

Sam really hasnt been at the races since a year before he left the first time round.

People point to his injuries as a factor, well that may be so but it doesnt stop it being a factor!, you cant play a player on what they are capable of its what they are doing that counts.

I think back to Henry Paul, he was never the same after that bad back injury, i cant help feeling weve already seen the best of tomkins. I think this is going to be a defining year for Sam because its the first time he has ever had to compete for his spot with us, and he will either rise to it or become that player living of reputation.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Personally I would put Sam out to a Championship side to prove his fitness, as I would not want to drop Escare just because of the Tomkin name. He's not done so much since coming back except proving that he can get injured.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:There always seems to be a much closer bond between Wane and Sam then any other player.

Sam really hasnt been at the races since a year before he left the first time round.

People point to his injuries as a factor, well that may be so but it doesnt stop it being a factor!, you cant play a player on what they are capable of its what they are doing that counts.

I think back to Henry Paul, he was never the same after that bad back injury, i cant help feeling weve already seen the best of tomkins. I think this is going to be a defining year for Sam because its the first time he has ever had to compete for his spot with us, and he will either rise to it or become that player living of reputation.
Agree entirely. This is Sams defining year! Another injury or poor form after 5 or 6 games and it's time to go. He needs to re-prove himself.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Think quite a few people are going to be surprised when Sam returns from injury.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Ken

Post by Ken »

A fit Sam is the best game breaker in the league
Ken Blinston
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Nobodies seem a fit Sam since 2012, 5 years is a long time
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TBH I do think people underestimates Wanes intelligence on this.

For him to say Sam will be starting FB when fit ensures that Escare does not get carried away with how well he is doing atm and. Also takes a lot of pressure off Sam Tomkins in his recovery. Wane is no fool he will drop players eventually.

I agree on a few comments I think he will go on the wing for a bit. His kicking for me ensures he starts. That is Escare.