Anthony Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Anthony Gelling

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Gells was replaced by TT late on in the game which seems a strange interchange.
Any news if this was a tactical change or an injury niggle.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Anthony Gelling

Post by Wandering Warrior »

NTH he was conspicuous by his absence during play, clearly not fit at the moment.
Monday's team should be interesting.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I assumed it was tactical to shore up the defence on the right side.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

He's clearly not fully fit (yet).
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I got the impression that Gells lacked match fitness (he was blowig after ten minutes) rather than that his injury had flared up again. He's in the squad for Wakey but Joe Burgess isn't so perhaps he picked up an injury. I thought Joe was lacking match fitness too despite playing well. It's easy to assume the team will improve when established players return from a spell out but of course they often then lack match fitness. Gells is a big bloke and if he hasn't been able to train properly for a month he will find it tough for a couple of games.
doc

Post by doc »

Gells always seems to take two or three matches to get back up to speed. He didn't look right in the warm up on Friday.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

He went off the pitch during the warm-up, then came back and did some work on his own with one of the coaching staff.

Definitely not 100%,but in the 19 for Monday. Although he did very little going forward, he did a decent amount of defensive work. I guess Wane will decide late if he plays on Monday or not.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

He's been given his shirt for his 100th appearance tomorrow plus a potted plant lol so assuming he will be playing against Wakefield
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Now he has a replacement plant, he might be back to 100%. No one had taken his bereavement into account.

:lol:
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

At least we should put up a better show than our last outing to Wakey. I felt sorry for the lads that day, it was so obvious things were not right. Despite the mauling we got, I can't recall any booing that day!