Radlinski

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Welski

Radlinski

Post by Welski »

I've been away for a couple of weeks so sorry if this has been covered but catching up with the news on B'n'All last night I see the prospect of KR moving to Union seems to be very much alive again?

Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
mrs_carney

Re: Radlinski

Post by mrs_carney »

It does appear to be alive again unfortunately and its looking more likely this time :( thats is rumour are to be believed!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree - plus an injury prone full back is probably an expensive luxury. Why did we let Briscoe go?
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

I for one would be really sorry to see danny go if the salford rumours are true. Many people on here said he isn't good enough for wigan. When he is on the field you may not notice him as being a stand out player but within five minutes of him leaving the field you know about it. I think if he gets fit he'll be fine and should get the chance to prove himself under millwards coaching.
Briscoe is a bit dodgy in defence, in attack he's superb but his defence isn't quite good enough. I think millward should seriously think about moving for reardon, he's not happy about being played on the wing constantly, still upset about bradford trying to offload him, young and a good player off contract this season.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
I agree - plus an injury prone full back is probably an expensive luxury. Why did we let Briscoe go?
Because he wasn't good enough to get in the team when Radlinski was fit.

If we had kept him he would have been in the reserves for three seasons and you can't expect promising players to accept that. You have toi let them further their careers elsewhere. Wigan have always done this.

Players like Cardiss, Blakely and others from previous eras were let go because they could not oust the incumbant player in their position and they needed first team football.

We have just signed Botham who has left Leeds for that very same reason. If he turns out to be a bit of a star no doubt some Leeds fan will be postin gon a message board why did welet him leave conveniently forgetting he could not get regular first team game with Leeds at the time he was let go.

The exact same thing applies with Briscoe.

That is how it works so no, it was not down to bad management at all as Doug suggested further down this thread.

Dave
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

mrs_carney posted:
It does appear to be alive again unfortunately and its looking more likely this time :( thats is rumour are to be believed!
On the other hand, these rumours have been around for YEARS now. He's not gone anywhere yet, and I've got to wonder if it will ever happen. It's obviously Yawnion want him, and it may just be them persisting with this rumour to wear him down.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
mrs_carney posted:
On the other hand, these rumours have been around for YEARS now. He's not gone anywhere yet, and I've got to wonder if it will ever happen. It's obviously Yawnion want him, and it may just be them persisting with this rumour to wear him down.
I must admit to getting a bit fed up with what appear to be quite substantial rumours about senior players leaving.

It is a professional game now and they benefit from being a professional sportman. Carney and Radlinski are earning very good money for doing the job they do as was Farrell.

It is about time IMO that players adopted a more professional attitude to their careers and by that I mean if they sign a contract for X years with a club they do so with the commitment and intenstion to play for club for X years. They ought not to be wanting out of deal freely agree as soon as the grass may look a bit greener elsewhere.

This is not a normnal job where you give a months notice and leave for a bigger salary or new challenge.

You sign a deal, you stick to it. In your last season of the deal you either negotiate a new one with your current club or leave with the best wishes of the club and fans having fulfilled your obligations on your contract.

It is a pretty simple concept and I will be very disappointed if we end up with three such senior players getting out of their commitments to the club like this.

Dave
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

[/quote]Dave O posted;
Because he wasn't good enough to get in the team when Radlinski was fit.
True but surely he or Rads could have been tried in other positions as has Aspy, Wild,Brown etc he is better than all these three as his successful move to Hull has proved.
Players like Cardiss, Blakely and others from previous eras were let go because they could not oust the incumbant player in their position and they needed first team football.

True once more - but the squad was far stronger in those days. Indeed Blakely went on to represent England after his move to Salford - something that he wouldn't achieve playing in our reserves.

[/quote] it was not down to bad management at all as Doug suggested further down this thread.
It was obvious to all and sundry that Rads was ageing (in playing terms) fast we had a ready made replacement that should have been nutred through the squad.
[/quote]
he could not get regular first team game with Leeds at the time he was let go.
Take this to it's logical conclusion and Edwards should have got rid of as he played second fiddle to Stephens, Ford, when he started out in the wing centre role. Indeed he continued to be ousted from either half back role through out his Wigan career but has more medals than any one.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

DOD did you get a bit confused with the quoting technique again?!

In relation to the comments about Kris sticking out his contract, he should. I said at the beginning of the year when the union talks were apparently in place that Kris is Wigan through and through and I couldn't see him moving but the talk on here has twisted my mind completely and I feel like he's already gone. If so, then I'm disappointed in him moreso than I was with Faz. I really expect a bit more loyalty from some of the senior players especially the ones that are playing for their home town, where's their pride?
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

MrsLam posted:
the talk on here has twisted my mind completely and I feel like he's already gone.
But the reality is he hasn't. To be honest, I've heard little about this except a rumour in the incredibly unreliable Manchester Evening News. At 10p it's overpriced, but they've never been against printing any old rubbish to fill their pages. I've noticed that over the last few years their RL coverage has shrunk to almost non-existent, with the other code being increasingly prominent instead (once you've managed to find some other sport after 20 pages of Manchester United / City / Stockport / Oldham / Bury / Moss Side Rangers / Langworthy School Under 10's 3rd team.

Instead of whinging about him or calling to get rid, as some are doing, we should instead be making sure Rads has our full support in a couple of months when he's back, because he's still the best full-back in the British game and he's still ours. Of course, if there is something in the rumour and he's gone, then maybe it's time to take some of WNAC's advice and start swamping the Chairman with letters of complaint about him releasing players without putting the club first.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]