General election

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
morley pie eater

Re: General election

Post by morley pie eater »

SJ wrote:My post re- Gold Coast was meant to balance the scales not to debunk your post. Your aspect was given by one description whilst mine gave a description from a different aspect without denying yours. My rationale is the analog with the Monty Python sketch "What did the Romans ever do for us"?
The objective was the natural minerals etc the civilising came with the "territory so to speak. In my parlance a kind of epiphenominalism,quid pro quo so to speak.
Lancastrian holds for me. By(e)the way :D
Haha! Yes, Ghanaians I know accept there were benefits of British rule: education for one. What surprised me is that there seems to be a widespread preference for the British over the (non-colonial) Yanks. Look up what the Americans (Kaiser Aluminium) did in JFK's time re the Akosombo dam after independence as an example.

I know a few people in Ghana, Kenya and Malawi. What I learned from them is that they tend not to think in terms of "what the British did for us", but distinguish between missionaries (good, esp for education), government (mixed reviews but ok), and settlers (generally bad/exploitative, esp in Kenya and Malawi).

You lost me on the epiphenominalism, by(e) the way :(
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
SJ

Post by SJ »

Sorry to use a esoteric term perhaps a more common term like by product but that doesn't express my meaning accurately. :D I think we understand each other pretty well. Nice to exchange opinions which we don't really disagree
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

SJ wrote:Sorry to use a esoteric term perhaps a more common term like by product but that doesn't express my meaning accurately. :D I think we understand each other pretty well. Nice to exchange opinions which we don't really disagree
Absolutely. And I could say too rare on here. :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

SJ wrote:
DaveO wrote:
SJ wrote:Time you accepted the Democratic result Dave.

Didn't realised you were a ex. London Fireman I thought you were a University lecturer and you allowed this false impression to persist.
Bet your a excellent Pool player spending most of yer working life in the Station rest room and being paid for it. Explains your politics!
MM
I am not sure what post of mine you are replying to but just to correct any of your misconceptions, I am an ex-Hindley Greener whose Dad worked for Turners and who's Mum worked in Kays Confectioner's shop at the top of Swan Lane (and in the Swan Pub as a barmaid before that). I myself work in IT and have done so since 1981 in private industry for all that time (in London and up here). It just so happens I also spent 16 of those years working for the OU at the same time doing that on evenings and weekends. Passing on my experience to my students while actually doing the job for real.

Does that explain my politics?

In a word no. Thanks for your biography post 81 nothing before?
If you mean pre-81 that is when I was at University. 77/81 including a year out in industry working for ICL (also in London) . Before that Mornington Road secondary school (having failed my 11 plus) with two tears at Hindley & Abram Grammar school for A-levels.

So you see a working class background, got to Uni despite being deemed factory fodder at age 11 and have worked in private industry even since being a graduate.

I have just not let my good fortune blind to the fact others for a variety of reasons won't be so lucky. I use the word "lucky" deliberately because although I have worked bloody hard over the years I had the opportunity to do so, so I was lucky to go to Uni at the time I did which was a life changing event. I do not sit there thinking just because I have had a good life that it was all down to me and me alone. I was fortunate to have the opportunity and the State gave me that opportunity.

If I were to summarise what I believe to be the fundamental difference between me and a Tory of similar background is, it is I know where I came from and know what opportunities the State afforded me, whereas (IMO) your average Tory thinks they did it all themselves.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

As I've stated before, one plank I knew said he should vote tory because he bought the council house he lived in!
Fortunately I choose my friends and none, to my knowledge, are selfish two bob tories, and for that choice I put it down to my own selfishness!! :D :wink:
Note they are not worth a capital "T".
Jacob Rees-Mogg, what a nice example of the species he is? Give me a saints fan anyday.
Enjoyed that!! :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

Great comment by call me Dave yesterday, anybody saying the cap on salaries for nurses, etc. should be removed is selfish.
No doubt made during one of his £100 grand dinner speeches?
Just love the arrogance of him!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

What a fall out following the election.
The government are all over the place with May's authority shot.
Labour the same with Corbyn sacking some of his shadow ministers.

They are off to see the EU next week for more negotiations.
Last time Davis said he was in for the "row of the summer" then capitulated within hours. Appeared at the press conf looking like he'd been dragged through a hedge backwards. The man's completely out of his depth.

What next for this political shambles we are in?

jobo

Post by jobo »

Saying Labour now has an 8 point lead in the opinion polls.

The blessed Theresea seems to be doing as good a job as prime minister, that she did as Home Secretary.
Wandering Warrior

And the Jap deal with the EU should create another headache for our inglorious leader and the CBI begging for a slow transition from the single market.
Meanwhile the odious Liam Fox is upset cos the media is pessimistic about Brexit. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Torygraph, Sun, Mail and Express bang the drum for it before the vote? Or is it the BBC who wont dance to his tune?
What a horrible state we are in?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

With both May and Corbyn saying they will stop free movement of people, quit the single market and the customs union the outlook for post Brexit is dreadful.
Looks like the long transitional deal is dead.
What a complete mess we will be in if all this happens.