Centre

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
HappyHooker

Centre

Post by HappyHooker »

If we sell aspinwall (Hopefully) and possibly Wild as well, which centre do you think we should move for, realistically??

Unlikely we could sign the immense Gasnier now, nor do I think we will get Gleeson - Wire said they wont sell, at any price.

Would be interesting to know, we've all speculated on the props, what of the centres. Obviously the Origin stars won't come, but there must be some other quality signings for a number 3 shirt out there!?
Being a warrior is not just a past-time; it's a choice of life.
MrsLam

Re: Centre

Post by MrsLam »

I don't want Pryce, let's settle that one now.

Wouldn't mind seeing Yeaman at Wigan, 22 year old biggish lad with a good season behind him. Hull also have a couple of other younger lads (might not be what we need right now though) A young lad called Kirk Dixon, he's waiting for a full time position after having a good season last year although it's looking unlikely since his position is centre/full back. If we're looking for a few more players to stand in for Orr when injured,they've also got Richard Whiting he's a centre/stand off young, tall and good in defense.

Nick Bradley-Qalilawa has been mentioned on here a few times, he's had a good year look impressive but then so did Moran last year. Scored a few tries this year.

Jamie Lyon has been rumoured to be leaving Saints at the end of the season but according to those on here, he won't be coming to Wigan most likely back down under.

Gleeson again, wouldn't mind him but he's just signed with Wire so there's no point in even starting rumours there.

Demetriou is an interesting one, he might come if Wakefield carry on playing the way they have this season. Scored 8 tries this season.

Going through the teams I can't see Leeds offloading Walker, McKenna or Senior this year and I'm not even going to mention any of Leighs centres.

That's just the superleague options I don't watch much NRL, normally at work when it's on. I still don't think we should sell Wild on, keep him at Wigan but I'm not impressed with Aspy, as much as he tries he just can't play at Wigan.

:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I would have Pryce anytime.

Can Reardon play centre?
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Reardon played at Centre the other day didn't he?
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
HappyHooker

Post by HappyHooker »

jinkin jimmy posted:
I would have Pryce anytime.

Can Reardon play centre?
Yeah I think Reardon can play centre, but think we might need him for full back!

Would have to agree with Mrs Lam on Pryce though mate, don't like him, his attitude, nor do I think he's a class act. There are better centres, only question is: can we sign em?! :eusa10:
Being a warrior is not just a past-time; it's a choice of life.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I don't like his attitude either, but why should that be a consideration?
Regarding his playing ability, I have to disagree with you here. Where are the better centres? Gleeson certainly, but I would put Pryce on a par with Senior and Walker. You may view things differently, but he is miles better than anything we have at the moment, is young, British and coming off contract.

The fact that he plays with IMO a nasty streak would not prevent me from signing him.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I could be convinced about Pryce. Better skilful but with a dodgy temperament, than poor with a great temperament (Aspinwall, for example).

Whoever mentioned Nick BQ from London, no, no, no, a million times no. I have watched him play 8 or 9 times now and he is a traffic warden in defence.

I think we have to put our complete trust in Millward on re-building. I am encouraged by the quality of player London unearthed when re-building their entire team - Dorn, Haumono, Hopkins, Leuluaia and McLinden were all v cheap, but all could have done a job for Wigan this year (esp Leuluai and McLinden). I think Sykes would be an excellent signing. He can kick goals and play full back and even 6 if required. And while we are at it, Purdham is very very classy, and can also play 6. If you know where to look there is real quality out there.

I would not have thought that either of these would cost much.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
I could be convinced about Pryce. Better skilful but with a dodgy temperament, than poor with a great temperament (Aspinwall, for example).

Whoever mentioned Nick BQ from London, no, no, no, a million times no. I have watched him play 8 or 9 times now and he is a traffic warden in defence.

I think we have to put our complete trust in Millward on re-building. I am encouraged by the quality of player London unearthed when re-building their entire team - Dorn, Haumono, Hopkins, Leuluaia and McLinden were all v cheap, but all could have done a job for Wigan this year (esp Leuluai and McLinden). I think Sykes would be an excellent signing. He can kick goals and play full back and even 6 if required. And while we are at it, Purdham is very very classy, and can also play 6. If you know where to look there is real quality out there.

I would not have thought that either of these would cost much.
But with the prospect of London finishing stronger than Wigan this season, would any of them want to move? Playing for Millward might seem exciting, we can hope, but then we all thought we had a chance this season with the players we brought in and look what happened. They may decide to stay put where they know what's going on.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

ps how do I go about getting a picture to go by my nom de plume?
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Playing for London leaves you with the constant threat of financial collapse, losing you ground, etc. Even Wigan as they are now is IMO a far more attractive proposition in playing terms than London.