Fans outside of Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
kevbrown1980

Re: Fans outside of Wigan

Post by kevbrown1980 »

I get to games when I can but's it's 500 mile round trip from Norwich. The London idea was ideal for me but that seems to have died a death. Only managed 2 games so far this season but will hopefully get to another 3 or 4 and of course the Grand Final when we get there. I'm away for the Challenge Cup final disappointingly
Rochdale Warrior

Post by Rochdale Warrior »

Well from Rochdale the downside is the M62 on Friday evening is an absolute nightmare. upside since a large telecommunications company deemed me surplus to requirements can now leave mid afternoon and sample to delights of the South Stand bar, away games in Yorkshire we have a head start , still get caught out with the road closures on the M62 M60 returning home, travel by road in this country is a hard work most of the time these days.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Not as far away as some, but it's a 3 hour drive to Wigan for me from home which is now in Rutland (between Leicester and Peterborough).

That rules out any weekday matches, as I don't get back from the office until after 6pm. Playing sport myself rules out for a chunk of the season for any Saturday games, leaving the weekend games for half the season, and any that fall on bank holidays.

I get up when I can, but not as much as I'd like!
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I used to have a girlfriend in Oakham. When I was (much) younger, I used to cycle there from Peterborough. Couldn't manage that now! :)
formulamoto

Post by formulamoto »

been a wigan fan since the 1961? cup final v st helens . live in bridlington east yorkshire and as im disabled i have never been to a home game . i do try to get to the games in yorkshire if possible.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

moto748 wrote:I used to have a girlfriend in Oakham. When I was (much) younger, I used to cycle there from Peterborough. Couldn't manage that now! :)
where abouts in Peterborough, have many family down there in Walton, Fletton, Orton, Bretton, New England and out areas
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wormburner wrote:
moto748 wrote:I used to have a girlfriend in Oakham. When I was (much) younger, I used to cycle there from Peterborough. Couldn't manage that now! :)
where abouts in Peterborough, have many family down there in Walton, Fletton, Orton, Bretton, New England and out areas
I grew up in Fletton and went to school in Orton.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

moto748 wrote:
Wormburner wrote:
I grew up in Fletton and went to school in Orton.
spent many a summer in the 80's cycling from Walton to go swimming in the Lido and the Regional then off in the car to walk our uncles dogs round Ferry Meadows
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Some of the journeys others make on here are both heartening and shaming for me. I only have the M6 to worry about.
Get on at J15/16 and then battle through 17 miles of roadworks on a Friday night. Timing is crucial. Leave at 5-30 and the drive takes over 2 hours. Leave after 6 and it's usually under 1.5 h.
But of course it's worth it.
Did try the train from Crewe once but it was delayed half an hour and parking at Crewe is a pain. So not really an ideal alternative.

So much easier last Sunday. Pity the crowd was disappointing. We get 23k v Saints. Even allowing for their 5k our numbers were well down against Catalan. Disappointing.
Stevethegas
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Amazing thread, impressed by the distances and stories of so many Wigan fans scattered across the country.

In the 70s we lived in Glenrothes in Fife. I had to buy a Daily Mail ( :devi: ) on Monday morning to get results - rugby and cricket. No internet or Teletext back then.

At least we can all keep up with news and results nowadays - maybe why so many posters are spread around the country, cos we miss the news and banter you get if you live in Wigan?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐