England v Samoa

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
yokozuna

England v Samoa

Post by yokozuna »

Who had the idea to schedule this match in May - along with all the other club fixtures?

"Only" two Wigan players, but two key ones!

We play Salford on the 5th (the day before).
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
josie andrews

O’Loughlin and Williams in England squad

Post by josie andrews »

Sean O’Loughlin and George Williams named in the England squad

Duo two of 20 players to be named for Test with Samoa

O’Loughlin returns as skipper with pair to set to face Castleford before leaving for Australia

Wigan duo Sean O’Loughlin and George Williams have been named in the England for the upcoming Test match with Samoa after Head Coach Wayne Bennett named a 20-man squad for the game.

O’Loughlin returns to the squad as Captain after missing the 2016 Four Nations tournament through injury.

The Wigan duo will play for the Warriors against Castleford on Saturday before jetting off to Australia therefore missing the game with Salford.

Mike McMeeken, Chris McQueen and Alex Walmsley have been called up to an England squad for the first time, while there are recalls for Zak Hardaker and Chris Heighington, who was last selected in 2011.

McMeeken and Hardaker, who have helped take their club Castleford Tigers to the top of the Betfred Super League, will be joined by teammate Luke Gale, while England captain Sean O’Loughlin will be joined by Wigan Warriors teammate George Williams, who has recently signed a new four-year deal at the club. Walmsley will be joined in the squad by his St Helens teammate Mark Percival, another England star to recently commit his long-term future to his club.

McQueen, whose father is English, plays for the Gold Coast Titans in the NRL and will be joined in the squad by former South Sydney Rabbitohs teammates Sam and Thomas Burgess. Heighington last played for England in the 2011 Four Nations when he scored tries against Wales and Australia.

The squad, which is made up of 12 players from the Betfred Super League and eight from the NRL, will take on a Samoa team currently ranked fifth in the world. The game, which kicks off at 10:30am (BST) is available to watch at live.rugby-league.com for an early bird offer price of just £3.49.

George Williams has represented England five times to date

England Head Coach, Wayne Bennett, said: “This is a strong squad that I believe has the talent to do well. The game against Samoa will be tough - they have some good players and plenty of spirit but this gives everyone in our squad the opportunity to show what they can do ahead of the World Cup.

“I’m very pleased that we have this chance to play mid-season. It gives the team a chance to work and spend time together and allows my coaching team and I the opportunity to take a closer look at how the players can rise to the challenge of playing against a tough and uncompromising opponent.

“There are some quality players left behind in England who have either just missed out or been ruled out through injury and this game enables me to look at some of those who haven’t been in the squad before.”

Kevin Sinfield, Rugby Director at the Rugby Football League, said: “This squad has an exciting mix of power and pace and I am looking forward to watching them play in a few weeks’ time. We have a great group of players available for selection and I know that it was incredibly tough for Wayne to select only 20 for this squad.”

England squad for the Pacific Test Match against Samoa (professional and community club shown):

Sam Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs, Dewsbury Moor)

Thomas Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs, Dewsbury Moor)

Luke Gale (Castleford Tigers, Middleton Marauders)

James Graham (Canterbury Bulldogs, Blackbrook)

Ryan Hall (Leeds Rhinos, Oulton Raiders)

Zak Hardaker (Castleford Tigers, Featherstone Lions)

Chris Heighington (Cronulla Sutherland Sharks, Umina Bunnies)

Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves, New Springs Lions)

Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders, East Hull)

Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants, Deighton Juniors)

Mike McMeeken (Castleford Tigers, Staines Titans)

Chris McQueen (Gold Coast Titans. Wynnum Manly Seagulls)

Sean O’Loughlin (C) (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

Mark Percival (St Helens, Halton Farnworth Hornets)

Scott Taylor (Hull FC, Skirlaugh)

Alex Walmsley (St Helens, Dewsbury Celtic)

Kallum Watkins (Leeds Rhinos, Latchford Albion)

Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders, West Bowling)

Gareth Widdop (St. George Illawarra Dragons, King Cross)

George Williams (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

Fans who want to watch the game can register at live.rugby-league.com and can take advantage of the £3.49 early bird offer until 24 hours before kick-off.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... FohZR8f.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Re: O’Loughlin and Williams in England squad

Post by DaveO »

I have the liberty of moving this back to the main Wigan forum as yokoxuna's point was how this affects Wigan.

With Williams in the squad and if as rumoured Tommy has broken his jaw we have no halfbacks as presumably they won't be playing for the club the day before! Even Lockers who fills in there occasionally won't be available.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Once again great planning by the RFL.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote: as presumably they won't be playing for the club the day before! .
Why assume that? I thought that was the whole point of them flying out the next day?

But yes, of course, with Tommy and Jake out we are short on halves. If required Sam Powell will have to step in, I suppose.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:
Why assume that? I thought that was the whole point of them flying out the next day?

But yes, of course, with Tommy and Jake out we are short on halves. If required Sam Powell will have to step in, I suppose.
No need to assume anything now:

"O’Loughlin returns to the squad as Captain after missing the 2016 Four Nations tournament through injury. The Wigan duo will play for the Warriors against Castleford on Saturday before jetting off to Australia therefore missing the game with Salford."

From the official club news on this: http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... SucufVg.99
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

moto748 wrote:

Powell and Gregson in the halves. Ganson to make his debut.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jobo

Re: England v Samoa

Post by jobo »

I'm glad he hasn't been picked but Heghtington before Liam Farrell?????

yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

jobo wrote:I'm glad he hasn't been picked but Heghtington before Liam Farrell?????
It's ludicrous to pick anyone ahead of Farrell. But I'm not complaining! Same goes for Budgie.

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan’s O’Loughlin ‘buzzing’ to be in England squad

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8509983[/url]
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan