Squad for Cas

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Squad for Cas

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wiganer Ted

Re: Squad for Cas

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Thought Tierney might have been named by now.
Does anyone know if he's fit or not?
In any case he'll have his work cut out to displace Tom Davies.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Thought Tierney might have been named by now.
Does anyone know if he's fit or not?
In any case he'll have his work cut out to displace Tom Davies.
Taken from Radio M/cr Sports news this afternoon :-
Wane said Tierney's now fit, but he can't drop either of the 2 Academy wingers because of their outstanding form. Says he's spoken to Lewis on the subject and he understands the position.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well Prepared

Shaun Wane confident Wigan will be ok without Tommy Leuluai

Tommy Leuluai out for six weeks with broken jaw

Wane says injuries over the last year means the team are used to changing positions

Shaun Wane says Wigan are well prepared as they look set to shuffle the side ahead of their trip to Castleford.

The Warriors Head Coach confirmed to the media on Wednesday that the Warriors will be without Tommy Leuluai for six weeks owing to a broken jaw.

Wane however refuses to be too downbeat and says the Warriors are well placed to cope with the loss.

“It’s not badly broken, he’ll be roughly six weeks.” Said Wane.

“We’ve got cover, I know we’ve lost Jake (Shorrocks) but we’ve got other people who can play in that position.

“Tommy has been great for us this season, he drives standards in training and he’ll be missed, any team would miss him. It gives an opportunity to others though.

“Having gone through what we did last year with bringing young players in and moving players around they’re all pretty use to it now.

“I’m happy, there will always be something we can do and I’ll always believe that we can win a game. We’ll be putting a good team out this weekend and hopefully we’ll be strong enough to get something from the game.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/reso ... -w1600.jpg

The Warriors will be without Tommy Leuluai for about six weeks

One area of less concern over injuries is in the backs with Wane admitting that Lewis Tierney is now fit but waiting for a chance owing to the form of youngsters Tom Davies and Liam Marshall.

Wane said: “Marshy (Liam Marshall) and Tom (Davies) have been killing it and Lewis understands that. I’m a big fan of his and he will get some game time over the next few weeks.

“They’re putting in loads of effort and carrying the ball great. You look at Tom Davies with 309 metres (against Catalans) having not played many games, I don’t remember many of them – maybe Sam (Tomkins).

I’ll stick to my guns, if someone is doing a really good job then the only way I might change it is if I have to give someone some game time over the next few weeks.

“I’ve been through all of the different scenarios whilst out walking my dogs, I’ve come up with a few different things we can do so we’re more than covered. My wife wanted to come with me but I told her I needed some thinking time.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/reso ... -w1600.jpg

Shaun Wane says he is more than happy with the form of Liam Marshall (pictured) and Tom Davies

Ahead of Saturday’s top of the table clash with Castleford, Wane said the Warriors will go there looking for an improved performance after losing to the Tigers at the DW at the start of the month.

He added: “We’ll be going there and trying our best. They’re the best team in the comp, I think Daryl will be the happiest out of any Super League coach at the moment with his team. There’s no team that has really hit their straps yet apart from Castleford, they’ve been consistently good.

“I think we’re in a better position because of the manner of how we lost the last game, we were poor and they were by far the best team. I think the scoreline flattered us, we weren’t good enough so that will be a big motivating factor for us.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... WWdTUlz.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Now Tierney is fit has Escare played scrum half ?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Its not a bad shout but i think Wane prefers to lose a halfback for a forward.

The better option is probably let Sam Powell go there and let Mickey Mac play for as long as he can but use ganson to spell him.

Lets be honest 80% of the traffic goes through Williams anyway, thats not a dig at Tommy its just the way we play.

The "problem" will only come if Williams gets a knock playing for England - that could spell real trouble for us
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

One thing this illustrates is that having Mcillorum available weakens the squad elsewhere. He can't play 80 minutes and so we now need an interchange hooker. Meaning one fewer props which we know makes them less effective.

Happily, I was reading that Sam T's op went well and he may be back in may. If he slots in at 7, Powell can go back to 9 and we can go back to having an extra prop.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:One thing this illustrates is that having Mcillorum available weakens the squad elsewhere. He can't play 80 minutes and so we now need an interchange hooker. Meaning one fewer props which we know makes them less effective.

Happily, I was reading that Sam T's op went well and he may be back in may. If he slots in at 7, Powell can go back to 9 and we can go back to having an extra prop.
Exactly what i've been saying, he just isn't worth a place for his 40 minutes a game and 10 or 11 semi ferocious tackles, time to move on
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Short memories lads.

Mcilorum can and has walked doing 80 mins. He did it all season when we got LL but lost in the semi's.

he's just come back from 14 months out - You didn't expect him to do 80 straight away did you?

:o
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Leave escare fullback for me..... tierney isnt the best under the high ball...... both wingers deserve to stay in as( for me) have added a lot more than tierney has
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE