Jack Smith steps down from RFL refereeing role

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Jack Smith steps down from RFL refereeing role

Post by josie andrews »

Former Royal Marine Jack Smith has stepped down from his full-time role in the Rugby Football League's match officials department to revert to refereeing part-time.

Smith, who was forced to leave the armed forces after being shot by a sniper while on duty in Afghanistan in 2010, has taken the decision in order to spend more quality time with his young family and continue a property management business.

Smith said: "I want to thank everyone in the match officials team for supporting me with this - it was never a quick or easy decision for me.

"My family need me at home at the moment more than I have been but I will still continue to officiate with the same ambition and professionalism in my part-time role."

Smith refereed his first Betfred Super League game last June and has been in charge of 18 since going full-time in October.

RFL head of match officials Steve Ganson said: "Whilst Jack has been with us he has been a model professional and made great progress within the group.

"Myself and staff understand his reasons and will continue to support him in his part-time role. We have also left open the possibility of him returning to full-time when his family are a little older."

https://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leag ... role/60869
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Jack Smith steps down from RFL refereeing role

Post by josie andrews »

What a shame, he was improving all the time & would have become a top Referee IMO
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Good referee but a man who has got his priorities right IMO.
markill

Post by markill »

The saddest thing is the people just reading the headlines and saying things like "good riddance" etc., when the guy will still be a part-time member of the match officials group. Must be really motivating for him when he sees comments like that, especially after how much bogus abuse he got following Wakefield v Wigan and Salford v Toronto.

In terms of his qualities and abilities as a referee, I'm not sure going full-time made him any better than he was in the few games I saw him do before that so actually he can still be a good match official I feel.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

markill wrote:The saddest thing is the people just reading the headlines and saying things like "good riddance" etc., when the guy will still be a part-time member of the match officials group. Must be really motivating for him when he sees comments like that, especially after how much bogus abuse he got following Wakefield v Wigan and Salford v Toronto.

In terms of his qualities and abilities as a referee, I'm not sure going full-time made him any better than he was in the few games I saw him do before that so actually he can still be a good match official I feel.
Where has that been said Mark? I didn't think he had a bad game considering. The touch judges are more at fault IMO you can't expect the referee to see everything, the touchies should be giving him & other refs more assistance!
markill

Post by markill »

He was slated after our game. Heard one Wakefield fan day it was the worst display she'd seen and saw lots of stick on Twitter. It was all nonsense as he got most calls correct but fans either don't see it that way or don't know the rules etc. Like I always say, fans are the bias ones not the refs!

On most social media threads about the news I saw negative comments. To be fair, there was plenty of people offering support too, but the negative ones stood out sadly.

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

markill wrote:He was slated after our game. Heard one Wakefield fan day it was the worst display she'd seen and saw lots of stick on Twitter. It was all nonsense as he got most calls correct but fans either don't see it that way or don't know the rules etc. Like I always say, fans are the bias ones not the refs!

On most social media threads about the news I saw negative comments. To be fair, there was plenty of people offering support too, but the negative ones stood out sadly.
Thank you for that Mark :)
shimmy192

Post by shimmy192 »

Shame- he showed potential and was OK in my opinion- leaves us a little short.

Touch Judges should be more involved- I think the RFL have missed a trick here- there are not many calls from the line these days. They are a team and should act like one throughout.

I to am amazed at the bias shown by fans- they should also know and understand the rules before they may comment.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

You got in before me Josie but I was going to have a wider question as to what is happening to the group of new young referees that came through last season.
The new refs last season were the highlight of a poor season as general opinion among the group of fans I watch the Sky games on tv were all generally positive with those refs whoever they supported but Smith must be the 3rd or 4th of the new refs who have now gone.
Is this down to the way they have been sidelined away from the bigger televised matches by Ganson?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
markill

Post by markill »

Smith hasn't 'gone', he's stepped down to part-time, which will just mean he only does one game at most each week, rather than currently being a TJ once and a ref once each week.

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE