Our own Ground

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
OAMJSONA

Our own Ground

Post by OAMJSONA »

I know we have had similar threads in the past, but may be its time we resurrected it once again for a serious debate and discussion on the possibilties of moving away from the Welco stadium .

Is there anywhere in the borough where if we had the opportunity to move away from the football lot and whelan and build say a 15,000 to 20,000 capacity stadium as i cannot see them lot surviving much longer

I personally would love to see it happen
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Jimmy Birts

Re: Our own Ground

Post by Jimmy Birts »

Can't see us building a new stadium. Doesn't make sense economically.

I can see us becoming at least joint owners of the DW in the near future.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

to buy a new ground we would need an old ground to sell to generate income.

It would be almost impossible for us to afford this unless IL would bank roll the venture himself.

Problem is the league is set up in a way now you barely need to watch the first half of the season take some vague interest in the super 8's and tune in for the playoffs

avg attendances down from 2011 16k, to 2015 14k to 2016 13k

Thats not a good business model to enter in such a major purchase and we know the "standard" of the stadium is not the issue.

There seems little to be gained by having your own stadium, yes we have to move the odd game because of the football but it makes no financial sense to build our own ground for that reason. It would be like trying to finance a 400k house because the house you rent someone you dont like comes to say a few times a year and you have to sleep on the sofa
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jao711

Post by jao711 »

OAMJSON wrote:I know we have had similar threads in the past, but may be its time we resurrected it once again for a serious debate and discussion on the possibilties of moving away from the Welco stadium .

Is there anywhere in the borough where if we had the opportunity to move away from the football lot and whelan and build say a 15,000 to 20,000 capacity stadium as i cannot see them lot surviving much longer

I personally would love to see it happen
. Firstly the ground doesn't belong to Wigan Athletic whatever happens to them.Secondly,Wigan MBC already own around 15pc of the DW.Can you see really see them giving planning permission for another ground,also there would be no grants for another ground for one club only.Lastly we would need o find £30+ million pounds for a ground to be used every two weeks.It doesn't make any kind of sense,but it's easy to be cavalier with someone else's money.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Out of curiousity how come everyone keeps banding £30 million about for cost of building a stadium?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Building a new stadium is simply not viable.
Two grounds of that type in Wigan would both lose a fortune.
We are at the DW and that's where we will stay.
As for the ownership going into the future well who knows but with the Latics no longer having Premiership money they will have to watch their accounts.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I own my home instead of renting it, I am much better off by doing so.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

I wish I had a pound for every time this has been brought up :D It ain t going to happen :conf:
doc

Post by doc »

I think the 30 million is based on cost of Saints ground (think that was in the region £20-25 million). Similar capacity and set up wrt seating/standing as most on here want. Though it pains me to say it, it's not a bad ground based on the couple of times I've been there.
markill

Post by markill »

It won't happen, it's a pipe dream. More chance of gaining ownership of current stadium than getting another of sufficient capacity built.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod