Wane: We’ll be okay this year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wane: We’ll be okay this year

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane says their poor run of results has not shaken his confidence they will “be okay this year”.

Wigan head to Hull FC on Saturday seeking to end a run of five Super League games without a win. But he has seen enough from those matches – particularly the 22-19 derby loss at St Helens a week ago – to convince him they are close to claiming the points which would kickstart a top-four assault.

“I don’t dwell on the games without a win, I dwell on the manner we’ve played and we’ve not been far off in a few games,” he said.

“We could easily have won the Saints game, we drew the Magic game with Warrington when Lewis (Tierney) was sinbinned, so I don’t get too stressed, I just think of building and getting better.

“I don’t like losing but I don’t worry about it. I know the situation we’re in. “I am a big picture man, I can see where we’re at and I see the personnel to come back. “If we were losing from a lack of effort, it’s a different ball game. But we’re not. We’ll be okay this year.”

He confirmed Joel Tomkins and Joe Burgess are set to return to the side from knocks for Saturday’s televised match (kick-off 5pm). Oliver Gildart is due to return the following week with Anthony Gelling, John Bateman and Sam Tomkins not far behind.

The latter two have been undergoing intense training – including spells in a cryotherapy chamber – at Manchester’s Institute of health and performance. “They’ve had no problem getting to sleep at night,” added Wane.

Wane will name his 19-man squad today. Gabriel Fell is on stand-by to make his debut if winger Tom Davies doesn’t recover from a bang to his leg.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8572054
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wandering Warrior

Re: Wane: We’ll be okay this year

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Time will tell whether his head is in the sand or not. From where I'm sat I very much think it is.
Saturday is a must win!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

It doesn't matter how many people are injured since he only has one strategy, if that doesn't work he accepts the defeat. You need at least a plan b incase it's not working
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Josie's friend wrote:It doesn't matter how many people are injured since he only has one strategy, if that doesn't work he accepts the defeat. You need at least a plan b incase it's not working
exactly. The shapes we use are the same throughout the club.

But when you get to first team and you aren't quiet ready the execution isnt good enough and you don't get away with it in super league.

He needed to rethink how we play/played in these circumstances.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

He definitely needs to appreciate how crucial good centres are too good attacking rugby....... shenton is a classic example...... hes no thrills just steady and executes his timing and passes very well.......all greg eden seems too be doing is putting the ball down IMO....... he hasnt had too score the kind of tries that marshall has had too do this season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

But the problem is, as has been said many times before, there aren't many Shentons kicking around in SL! Or elsewhere, for that matter. Good centres are like hen's teeth. We started the season with three who play there to a decent standard, plus two or three kids as cover. That doesn't seem so unreasonable to me. We've been unfortunate with injuries, but you can't legislate for the Ferres's of this world. :roll:
OJ

Post by OJ »

Well I for one think he's right. We'd all like to win every game but then again that would get more than a bit boring. We're still thereabouts despite everything and for me right now the most crucial game is the challenge cup match.
It's easy to get tunnel vision and just look at our own team but all teams go through high and low points in a season. We've got a big squad of talented players and I really don't think any other team in the league would have coped half so well with the disruption due to so many injuries that Wigan have had. Seem to recall many of the doom and gloom brigade thought there was nothing down for us last year either but that didn't work out so bad did it and I reckon something similar is potentially on the cards this year.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

OJ wrote:Well I for one think he's right. We'd all like to win every game but then again that would get more than a bit boring. We're still thereabouts despite everything and for me right now the most crucial game is the challenge cup match.
It's easy to get tunnel vision and just look at our own team but all teams go through high and low points in a season. We've got a big squad of talented players and I really don't think any other team in the league would have coped half so well with the disruption due to so many injuries that Wigan have had. Seem to recall many of the doom and gloom brigade thought there was nothing down for us last year either but that didn't work out so bad did it and I reckon something similar is potentially on the cards this year.
I hope so ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Josie's friend wrote:It doesn't matter how many people are injured since he only has one strategy, if that doesn't work he accepts the defeat. You need at least a plan b incase it's not working
And it doesn't seem to matter if what SW says is true, some people on here have only one response.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Post by jobo »

Care to explain what you think his plan "a" is and what you think his plan "b" should be?