To make the semi's

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

To make the semi's

Post by AdamMac »

We are currently 6 pts behind wakey with 13 left to play (inc super 8's)

Clearly we have to win AT LEAST 3 more games than wakey.

So I'd say we have to win 10 of the remaining 13, which would mean wakey only winning 7 of their 13.

What a tough ask.

Players back or not I'm starting to think it's a task to much now.

:conf:
ian.birchall

Re: To make the semi's

Post by ian.birchall »

Too late already. Start planning your September holidays.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

lets go to Wembley instead
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

unfortunately there is no blue pill for this Wigan team and i think we would have to get very lucky to make the semis from where we are
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

In that last 3 months we have beaten a desperately out of form Saints and scraped a win against Wakefield. We drew against a dire Wire side and a desperately out of form Giants.
We have been in relegation from for 3 months essentially. No we won't make the 4 and the sooner we all focus our energies on finishing in the 8 the better imho:
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Summed up perfectly Exiled. Injuries have obviously played a major part but can I dare to say the Coaching Team have also played a major part. Poor preparation and a Coach with his lack of backroom people who for me knows one way and has been caught out
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Cas are certs for the semi finals surely,I'd go with Salford barring a total collapse,Leeds will be there abouts,so one place left maybe?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Sounds like we will field a decent team against wire...... seems funny how our players seem to recover for the big games( fit or not fit)...... its been happening with lockers for quite a few years
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
markill

Post by markill »

A lot may depend on who makes the bottom end of the 8. If we can win 10-11 games, then there is no doubt for me with the way it is this year that the other 7 teams could all take wins off each other, as long as Catalan don't make it to 8th. I think they'll be a massive non-factor in the top 8 if they make it and even lose all 7 games maybe.

Cas will run away with top. The rest will all take points off each other, so it really depends if we can be a much better performing team than we have been since March. Before the season lots thought we could win it all with our best team out there, so if we have a fit and firing best team out there, who knows..?

I'm not giving up on it, but focus will be win 3 of the next 4, as that should see us safe in the top 8. If we then can beat both Wire and Leeds before the split then semis is on for sure. Win one of the two and it's not impossible. We have to get through the next month with wins first.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am not sure the maths works whichever way I look at it. Teams will take points off each other, but that works both ways. Salford, Cas and Leeds are already too far ahead and too good for us to overtake. Which means that we need to have a better record than Saints, Trinity and Hull FC. Even if we beat Hull and Trinity, they can stay above us by playing no better than they are now.

I can't see us winning tonight - nothing since March suggests we are good enough - and so could well be looking up at Saints (who will have played a game fewer) and 7/8 points behind the others.

If, say, we win against Warrington, we usually res players/lose matches either side of the big cup games. If we then get to Wembley, again we usually lose the games either side.

The only possible way I could see us getting into the 4 would be if we win tonight, and magically get everyone back fit and firing for 2 weeks time. Plus, possibly, losing to Wire - but that seems a very heavy price to pay.

For all Wane's refusal to look at the table, while looking to "fix a few things", we are now in a hole entirely of our own making whereby we almost certainly can't make the 4, and if we win against Wire, then Wembley becomes all or nothing. Great idea not to sort Bateman out in the off season, and not replace the measurably incompetent medical/conditioning department. Ironically, if we lose our next 2 games, then Wane's "no need to rush back" approach could well be appropriate, as we will be playing friendlies for the rest of the year.