Ben Barba arrives at Saints

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Ben Barba arrives at Saints

Post by josie andrews »

PAUL SCULTHORPE SPEAKS TO SAINTS NEW SIGNING

Saints new signing, Ben Barba, arrived in the North West this weekend and went straight into training with his new teammates.

Speaking to Paul Sculthorpe after his first training session Barba said "I'm enjoying being over here finally and getting stuck in at my first day of training today, I'm looking forward to what's ahead."

On his new teammates the former Cronulla man added "They're a close bunch of guys here, it was easy coming here, they all introduced themselves, its a very friendly place and that's going to make it a lot easier for me over the coming weeks."

Barba revealed his meeting with Saints CEO Mike Rush and former players Paul Sculthorpe, Sean Long & Paul Wellens was instrumental in convincing him St Helens was the right club for him

"It was an easy decision for me. Obviously I had here or Warrington to go to but this place had an effect and after meeting Mike it was an easy decision."

Barba played alongside former St Helens and current Canterbury prop James Graham and revealed both joked about when Graham makes a return to England he would bring Barba with him and they would play at St Helens together.

"I've beaten him to the punch and I'm here first but hopefully I can lure him back here to finish off his career" added Barba.

Barba joins St Helens after a stint playing rugby union for Toulon but is currently serving a 12-match suspension, which Saints have said the club will appeal. Barba says when he gets to pull on the red vee, fans can expect hard work from him, adding "hopefully the flashy stuff will come on the back of it, that's what I'm well known for. I'll work hard off the pitch and hopefully make them happy on it".

http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... SDnyM.dpuf
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Ben Barba arrives at Saints

Post by josie andrews »

Barba unaware of suspension situation

St Helens’ star signing Ben Barba has arrived in the country, but is unaware of the situation regarding his twelve-week suspension which the club have subsequently appealed.

The suspension was imposed by the NRL in the close season after last season’s Grand Final, when Barba, who was then a player with the Premiership winning Cronulla Sharks, tested positive for cocaine.

Despite the suspension looming, Barba has insisted he will be fully focused on the club’s training schedule and is optimistic of his future with the club.

“Obviously I’ve got a bit of a suspension at the minute and I’m not sure what’s going on but all I can do is work hard on the training ground,” he told the club’s official TV channel in an interview with Paul Sculthorpe.

“I’m enjoying being over here finally and I’m looking forward to what’s ahead. There’s a nice bunch of guys here and they were very welcoming and it’s a very friendly place. It’ll make it a lot easier for me over the coming weeks.”

Having previously worked under Justin Holbrook while at Canterbury Bulldogs, and was first spotted on these shores at Magic Weekend.

Speculation soon circulated that he was being courted by St Helens and Warrington Wolves, and Barba explained that it was the conversations he had with the raft of St Helens legends on the coaching set-up that swayed his decision.

“That played a bit of a role in me coming here but after the meeting I had with Mike (Rush) and some of the other guys like you (Paul Sculthorpe), Sean (Long) and Paul (Wellens) it looked like a club who looked after their players,” added the 28-year-old.

“I had either here or Warrington to go to but it had a big effect after meeting Mike.”

One household name at St Helens who Barba is more than familiar with is former Canterbury Bulldogs teammate James Graham, who was complimentary of the club. Again affecting his decision, the former Dally M medal winner joked that he could play a part in Graham’s return to Saints in the future.

“I didn’t actually speak to him before I came but when we were at the Doggies we kind of joked that when he returned to England I’d come over and play at St Helens,” quipped Barba.

“Obviously I’ve beaten him to the punch and I’m here first, so hopefully I can lure him here to finish off his career. He always spoke really well of the club and that definitely played a bit of a factor in me coming here too.”

http://www.totalrl.com/barba-unaware-su ... situation/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

St Helens to appeal Ben Barba ban

St Helens Chairman Eamonn McManus has confirmed that he is determined to overturn the twelve-game suspension that the RFL insists his marquee player has to serve before playing in Super League.

The suspension was imposed by the NRL in the close season after last season’s Grand Final, when Barba, who was then a player with the Premiership winning Cronulla Sharks, tested positive for cocaine.

But speaking to League Express, McManus confirmed the club will appeal the ban imposed.

“We are appealing against the decision of the RFL to transfer the twelve-game ban to Super League,” McManus told League Express.

“We think there are no grounds to do this. The NRL itself stated that he would serve twelve matches when he returns to the NRL. That was formally stated by them.

“Most importantly, if that offence had been committed in this country, then there would have been no ban. For out-of-season illicit non-performance-enhancing drugs, there is no ban.”

http://www.totalrl.com/st-helens-appeal-ben-barba-ban/
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

A total injustice if this ban gets overruled.
A stop gap for a sandow/segayaro type player wanting a return exit card back to the NRL where plenty of teams would be looking for his signature.
LTAWigan4Eva

Post by LTAWigan4Eva »

I agree, absolute disgrace. I hope it is not over turned but the RFL simply need to say we will not register any player still serving a ban.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

He shouldn't be given a visa. The ban is not sufficient especially when you compare the ban imposed on Gaz Hock.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

The difference is Gareth Hock tested positive during matches. Barba took them in the off season, if Hock had taken them in the off season he would not have been suspended at all.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cow yeds wrote:The difference is Gareth Hock tested positive during matches. Barba took them in the off season, if Hock had taken them in the off season he would not have been suspended at all.
I understand that to be the rules but it is quite bizarre given the substance in non performance enhancing. The sport should be setting an example, all players should be banned for drug taking irrespective of whether they are 'recreational' or not.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
cow yeds wrote:The difference is Gareth Hock tested positive during matches. Barba took them in the off season, if Hock had taken them in the off season he would not have been suspended at all.
I understand that to be the rules but it is quite bizarre given the substance in non performance enhancing. The sport should be setting an example, all players should be banned for drug taking irrespective of whether they are 'recreational' or not.
I have my reservations about who cow yeds loyalties lie with!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

Also Hock was caught by "official" drug testers, Barba was caught by his own club. I actually see saints point of view on this, but I do feel dirty for admitting it. Anyway, if he serves the ban here, he'll be off back to oz for next season, if not, he'll be off back to oz next season.
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!