Under 19s

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jao711

Under 19s

Post by jao711 »

Anybody heard the result.
Britinbim

Re: Under 19s

Post by Britinbim »

Catalans under 19s 8 Wigan under 19s 44
Highlights are on Wigan TV
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Great stuff,thanks for that.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Very good performance in extremely hot conditions, especially given that we played more then half the game with 12 men.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
5miler

Post by 5miler »

Having watched a few games on Wigan tv this year,is Sammy Kibula possibly the next Lockers? Big lad,has a good sense of what's going on around him and seems to have a good passing game. I know he's only 17 and needs a lot of work doing yet to utilise his size but the basics seem to be there. Any thoughts?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Oh Young Sammy is a hell of a prospect but (and i know you mean it as a compliment) lumber him with "the next player x" tag,too often it comes to naught.

But hes a massive prospect thats for sure.
5miler

Post by 5miler »

Yes,wasn't trying to shoehorn him into the Lockers box but a similar type of player. Wouldn't want to jinx him with that expectation. If he stays true to himself and doesn't try too hard to be someone else then he could go a very long way.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

His passing skills were poor last season but they have improved dramatically this year, so it shows that he can develop his game.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
doc

Post by doc »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:His passing skills were poor last season but they have improved dramatically this year, so it shows that he can develop his game.
I think that's a bit harsh. When I first saw him play one of things that stood out for me, besides his size, was his handling skills for a big lad. He also has a handy short kicking game and a good step and turn of pace. If anything I think he needs to be more aggressive in defence and hurt the opposition more. You see this occasionally when he gets hurt or makes an error he really lets the opposition have it in his next couple of tackles. If he could defend as aggressively all the game then he has the ability to be an exceptionally good player. This season he seems to have slimmed down a bit and improved his stamina. I think he would benefit from a stint at Swinton next year to toughen him up a bit as his size makes things a bit too easy for him at U19s level.