BORING

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

BORING

Post by Wigan Watcher »

You can't write this stuff...I said our last match was BORING!

And would you believe it they were told to play boring... unbelievable...... I had no idea I would be totally right.... They have some of the most skilful players in the league and if they can't coach them to win games playing entertaining rugby then they need to find another job. If they think I'm paying money to watch boring rugby they can think again..

Warrior Gilfedder

Re: BORING

Post by Warrior Gilfedder »

Wigan Watcher wrote:You can't write this stuff...I said our last match was BORING!

And would you believe it they were told to play boring... unbelievable...... I had no idea I would be totally right.... They have some of the most skilful players in the league and if they can't coach them to win games playing entertaining rugby then they need to find another job. If they think I'm paying money to watch boring rugby they can think again..
Thing is you are never right :lol:
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wigan Watcher wrote:You can't write this stuff...I said our last match was BORING!

I was entertained during our 10-32 away win in France in difficult conditions scoring 5 tries.

At the end of the day paying your money to watch is a choice, nobody forces you.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I thought the team looked tentative and nervous all through the first half. I also thought (and this is not being wise after the event) that Cats would tire as they have done in every match this season.
If our tactics were to tire them out and take over, then they were brilliant tactics because from about 55 minutes in, there was only one team in it.
The match looked awful in the first half but by the end there were flashes of the real Wigan.
And fair's fair - I may not rate him but I thought Gelling was particularly effective and gave a really disciplined performance.
Never thought I'd be posting that comment!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Playing boring is nothing new to Wigan.

There is a massive difference however between playing conservatively and playing boring. At the moment Wigan are boring, a lot of our tries are scored from that Williams to winger kick and/or errors from opposition, we have very few flowing passing moves.

Madge got critisied in his time here for Wigan playing "boring" i remember he basically stopped offloads completely. However our play was intense and in attack when we needed to we turned it on.

At the moment it looks like we a team on a computer game were the player has spent all their points on defense and attack is left on nothing, we look completely clueless.

I am all for boring play in our own half and im all for sticking with a game plan, what worries me is that we dont look like we have a clue what to do when we get into the opponents half and at the moment we are reliant on the opposition being poor rather than us being white hot.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

The comments are understandable, but, in relation to this particular match, the tactics were clearly right. If we said "we must play open, entertaining rugby", and tried to razzle dazzle, have plenty dummy runners, stay keen and committed, then what would have happened? In the heat/conditions in Perpignan, we would surely have faded badly at the end.

Who in their right mind would employ a coach who did that? What would folk be saying on this thread? The title might be changed from BORING to STUPID or IDIOTIC.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Yes many of our performances are boring, Rugby League in general in this country is comparatively boring and becoming more so.Tactics, the fact that players indulge more in weights, wrestling bulking up, and less stress on speed and natural talent are reasons for this.Sadly RL is a dying game as we have known it.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Instead of Conquest of Paradise the team will be marching out to a Pet Shop Boys song for the foreseeable, Being Boring. :wink:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Warrior Gilfedder

Post by Warrior Gilfedder »

old hooker wrote:Yes many of our performances are boring, Rugby League in general in this country is comparatively boring and becoming more so.Tactics, the fact that players indulge more in weights, wrestling bulking up, and less stress on speed and natural talent are reasons for this.Sadly RL is a dying game as we have known it.
Blame Super League, Summer Rugby and the death of international tours, Rugby League was far more exciting and superior pre 96
pedro

Post by pedro »

Warrior Gilfedder wrote:
old hooker wrote:Yes many of our performances are boring, Rugby League in general in this country is comparatively boring and becoming more so.Tactics, the fact that players indulge more in weights, wrestling bulking up, and less stress on speed and natural talent are reasons for this.Sadly RL is a dying game as we have known it.
Blame Super League, Summer Rugby and the death of international tours, Rugby League was far more exciting and superior pre 96
the salary cap also