Wigan planning to far ahead

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moran123

Wigan planning to far ahead

Post by moran123 »

why are wigan planning for next season they need to focus on this season. They have a chance of relagation
Doveoverdave

Re: Wigan planning to far ahea...

Post by Doveoverdave »

moran123 posted:
why are wigan planning for next season they need to focus on this season. They have a chance of relagation
They have no choice but to strengthen for next year. They have their quota of overseas players and they SAY they are up to the salary cap limit. (I dunno where all Farrell's salary is going though).

The one option they do have is to try to sign loan deals to ease their injury crisis, ala Botham.
Fraggle

Re: Wigan planning to far ...

Post by Fraggle »

Doveoverdave posted:
moran123 posted:
They have no choice but to strengthen for next year. They have their quota of overseas players and they SAY they are up to the salary cap limit. (I dunno where all Farrell's salary is going though).

The one option they do have is to try to sign loan deals to ease their injury crisis, ala Botham.
The Farrell money will have only just come available, and presumably some of it is being used for Botham's salary. But the other, more important, factor is the simple fact there aren't really many players available mid-season. Yes, Skints were able to sign Anderson after the season started, but we had no more more overseas slots available so we couldn't bid for him. If players are not available and other clubs not prepared to release anyone then it doesn't matter how much money we have, it's not going to help us bring in new players.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

moran123 posted:
Yes there is a chance of going down and even if we did go we would bounce straight back. We are taking 1 step back to go 2 forward. Seems were recruting better than we have done in the previous years. We just need 2 big props and a full back/wing cover and we should do well. We need a centre with DV and a stand off if Orr is going but still we look a good squad for next season. We will have Hock and O'Loughlin back and that in itself strengthens us imesrabley.

Lockers15

Post by Lockers15 »

moran123 posted:
this season was a disaster we all need to forget about it now. planning for the future will make the future better. SO STOP MOANING!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

thegimble posted:
moran123 posted:
Yes there is a chance of going down and even if we did go we would bounce straight back. We are taking 1 step back to go 2 forward. Seems were recruting better than we have done in the previous years. We just need 2 big props and a full back/wing cover and we should do well. We need a centre with DV and a stand off if Orr is going but still we look a good squad for next season. We will have Hock and O'Loughlin back and that in itself strengthens us imesrabley.

I agree. We need 2 props, hooker, 2 second rows, loose forward, 2 halves, 2 centres, 2 wingers and a full back!
Lockers15

Post by Lockers15 »

Doveoverdave posted:
thegimble posted:
moran123 posted:

I agree. We need 2 props, hooker, 2 second rows, loose forward, 2 halves, 2 centres, 2 wingers and a full back!
we dont need a hooker when we have terry the ignorant and godders
lets just say we need our forwards renovating and our backs a little tweacking agreed?
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

There's more chance of a top 6 finish than relegation, this board is full of doom and gloom recently. The team we have wouldn't be that bad if we could all play together but it seems the minute we get a full(ish) team back, someone else or somethree elses get injured. The fitness levels are pathetic and it needs to be sorted out before next season, as for forgetting this season why should we? We're in 7th position, we're still in the CC (regardless of how long you think that will last) and we are still able to finish in the top 6.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

MrsLam posted:
There's more chance of a top 6 finish than relegation, this board is full of doom and gloom recently. The team we have wouldn't be that bad if we could all play together but it seems the minute we get a full(ish) team back, someone else or somethree elses get injured. The fitness levels are pathetic and it needs to be sorted out before next season, as for forgetting this season why should we? We're in 7th position, we're still in the CC (regardless of how long you think that will last) and we are still able to finish in the top 6.
We will not be top 6. We play too many sides above us in the run in. We are better than Widnes but were thread bare in cover now. Somepeople might view us as better than we and some like me think we worse than our actual position in the league show.

Only reason we will stay up will be the performances of the sides below us. As lets be honest weve not even been on a winning run this season we win 1 or 2 but lose 2 to 3 at a time. We are not top 6 material. Its not that we do not have a squad capable of competing at the top but 2 of our more infulencial players are long term injured we have Faz going and on top of this we pick up niggling injuries week in week out.

The team over the last 5-7 weeks are not good enough for top 6. We need to stay out of the relegation zone and get the season over and done with ASAP. Although i do agree with a post on here last week if we did make top 6 we could turn over Bulls, Wolves and Hull before the Saints or Leeds take us out. We need a consistant side out especially after the CC.

For me the games after the CC are our more important as we play Leigh next and if we win that we could go 6 away from Widnes if results go as excpected this week. That should be enough cushion for some of the players to relax and play better controlled rugby.

Call me a defeatist or moaner, but we are a poor side today but with the additions next season and the long term injuries coming back i do excpect us to be in the top 4 at least.

1 bad season does not make us a bad side it just happens that circumstances have take us to the situation we find today.

I do believe that with IM in charge we will challenge for a CC place and GF next season.
The Bruce

Post by The Bruce »

[/quote]
I agree. We need 2 props, hooker, 2 second rows, loose forward, 2 halves, 2 centres, 2 wingers and a full back![/quote]

You forgot the 4 decent players to come off the bench. :D :D