WIGAN AND HULL SET TO FACE SOUTH SYDNEY AND ST GEORGE IN AUSTRALIA

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: WIGAN AND HULL SET TO FACE SOUTH SYDNEY AND ST GEORGE...

Post by markill »

Sydney is probably the single biggest Rugby League market in the world. Super League clubs can do worse things than try to tap into it somehow.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

When I was last in Sydney - which is a rugby league city to its core - they were showing SL games on their main sports channel, and my Wigan tops/caps drew a positive response from many people. Not sure how you turn it into cash, but there is a massive market for us there.
More importantly, this gives the players something to look forward to, and a chance to see the world. Who knows, the prospect of these sort of games might make us more attractive to players thinking about joining or leaving us.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wintergreen wrote:Surely a pre-season game against St Pats would be more on their level?
'....their level?'
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:When I was last in Sydney - which is a rugby league city to its core - they were showing SL games on their main sports channel, and my Wigan tops/caps drew a positive response from many people. Not sure how you turn it into cash, but there is a massive market for us there.
More importantly, this gives the players something to look forward to, and a chance to see the world. Who knows, the prospect of these sort of games might make us more attractive to players thinking about joining or leaving us.
When I was there many years ago I made sure I arrived wearing a white Wigan polo t-shirt with the Wigan RL crest on it. Still got spotted by one of the customs people and positive comments were made.

However that was at the time of Hanley and Co and GB were much stronger than today and there was quite a bit of respect for the British game. They are poles apart now.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:Sydney is probably the single biggest Rugby League market in the world. Super League clubs can do worse things than try to tap into it somehow.
How are they going to do that? The NRL clubs have it sewn up and are not going to share. The best you are going to get is a few replica shirts sold but their market is not some sort of cash cow clubs from the UK can tap into.

Reminds me of the London initiative. It's expending effort in the wrong place.

As to the games themselves we get enough whinging about players being released for internationals in case of injury and now we are going to send the entire team and field the strongest line up for an exhibition match in an area where you are preaching to the converted. What great idea, not.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The more i think about this the sillier it becomes to be honest so if im reading this right thats one less home game for the season ticket holders then?
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Wigan will be the home team in the first Superleague game in Oz.

Wigan Warriors v Hull FC

Will be a lost home game to Wigan Season Ticket holders

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... of-europe/

Regards , EW
2002 and EW is hooked
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

EDINBURGH-WARRI​OR​ wrote:Wigan will be the home team in the first Superleague game in Oz.

Wigan Warriors v Hull FC

Will be a lost home game to Wigan Season Ticket holders

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... of-europe/

Regards , EW
Fixed your link ????

How do they know we will be reigning champions for 2018 ????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
JonnyD

Post by JonnyD »

One less game on the season ticket next year then :)
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

So -£25 on price? I think not!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield