Re: Waney

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Suppose it's Wanes fault that half the squad has been injured for most of the season and we have the ridiculous situation whereby there is no meaningful reserve grade competition to re-introduce said injured players back into the game. Ally this to the stupid salary cap system, the only thing any coach can do is nurse his squad through the season and hope and pray the best players are avaiable for the money matches.

Personally, I think Wane is good at this.
5miler

Post by 5miler »

SW is the Wigan coach,not the supporters. He coaches the team to play the way they do. We,the supporters,choose the team we want to support. If the team plays the way the collective WE want to see,then we all have to become the team coach. Then the forum threads will be about how well/badly the team plays under us. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Still dont rate him, ive seen it referred to on other threads how he has nursed us through an injury hit season, well he hasnt we went on the longest winless run in 100 years, and many of the games we were in the lead and lost due to poor tactics. Others we lost do to lack of proper goal kicker - both of these issues are firmly at the feet of SW.

Our upturn in form has been brought on by Sam and Mickey Mac luckily returning to their own respective form.

The team still have very little clue if the momentum is stopped in the final 20, we still are very poor tactically and we still are missing things that SW should of solved ages ago. He still plays his subs by the clock regardless of whats happening

Basically if SW went to any team outside the top 4 i doubt he would improve them. Its hard to judge because he probably never would but i cant see how he would be a success anywhere other than Wigan who have probably the most talented squad in the league and the largest depth to boot
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think he has put together the best squad and team in the league. Which must be enough to keep him in situ. However, I would replace our rubbish medical team in its entirety - 5 years of not knowing what side we will see is 4 years too long - and we desperately need an attacking coach. Sort guide and my god we will see how much talent we have in this squad...
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

"We will come out of the traps with great momentum then on twenty minutes or there abouts I'll take a couple of our better players off for some fresh legs. Hopefully when the momentum drops from us they'll not get too far in front and we can catch up later in the game? We must stick to the process!" :D
I noticed yesterday Gildhart referred to boring rugby in the after match interviews.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
OJ

Post by OJ »

Being the Wigan coach has to be one of the most thankless tasks in the country. What the hell does the guy have to do to keep some of you happy. He should be scouring the internet looking for websites where he can do his level best to get other folks their P45's and that's assuming they are working in the first place. I agree that sometimes the rugby isn't as exciting to watch as we would like but with the possible exception of Cas other teams are no better so for pity's sake give the guy a break, he must bleed cherry and white. Being a fan isn't all about winning it's abut supporting through good and bad, enjoying the good times and being constructive through the bad. Time to enjoy then at the moment folks
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

OJ wrote:Being the Wigan coach has to be one of the most thankless tasks in the country. What the hell does the guy have to do to keep some of you happy. He should be scouring the internet looking for websites where he can do his level best to get other folks their P45's and that's assuming they are working in the first place. I agree that sometimes the rugby isn't as exciting to watch as we would like but with the possible exception of Cas other teams are no better so for pity's sake give the guy a break, he must bleed cherry and white. Being a fan isn't all about winning it's abut supporting through good and bad, enjoying the good times and being constructive through the bad. Time to enjoy then at the moment folks
+1 well said
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

OJ wrote:Being the Wigan coach has to be one of the most thankless tasks in the country. What the hell does the guy have to do to keep some of you happy. He should be scouring the internet looking for websites where he can do his level best to get other folks their P45's and that's assuming they are working in the first place. I agree that sometimes the rugby isn't as exciting to watch as we would like but with the possible exception of Cas other teams are no better so for pity's sake give the guy a break, he must bleed cherry and white. Being a fan isn't all about winning it's abut supporting through good and bad, enjoying the good times and being constructive through the bad. Time to enjoy then at the moment folks
Firstly no one has ever doubted Wanes commitment to Wigan in terms of him being cherry and white through and through, but this isn't a qualification to be a Wigan coach or we all would be right for the job.

You say it isn't all about winning and that's exactly the argument that most people unhappy with Wane would use, he has won trophies however look at the "performance" of the team and its steadily dropped year on year under his tenure and noticeable dips after assistant coaches departed.

If you look at the things Wigan are worst at like goal kicking, iffy recruitment and shocking tactical play - all of these are Wanes responsibility.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

On the plus side, he doesn't half know how to get a team motivated, especially for a big game.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

Some Wigan fans are just never happy. We win a semi final against a team 4 places higher in the league then us and people still have to come out and find as many negatives as possible!! This isn't the only negative topic since the match yesterday. I'm sure some of you just come on here because you love a good whinge!