Flower

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Flower

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan forward Ben Flower has signed a new contract tying him to the club until the end of the 2020 season.

The Wales international, whose previous deal had less than a year to run, has committed his future to the Warriors despite interest from elsewhere in Super League and the NRL.

Flower has made 90 appearances since joining Wigan in 2012 and won the Challenge Cup and Grand Final double in 2013, although his early sending-off in the 2014 Grand Final contributed to the defeat against St Helens.

Super League Super 8s,Today, 20:00pm
Castleford v St Helens
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I knew i remembered reading the above
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Flower by far is the only prop NRL clubs would jump at the chance to get from us. Some are living in the 80's and 90's where props made 20-30 meters carry and charged into tackle a player. Game has changed props need to run 10-15 meters hit the deck when tackled and get up asap. Flower is amongst the best in SL at that and very solid in defence hardly ever comes in for a big shot but ensures that the player is held so 2 and 3rd man comes in to control the speed.

Listened to James Graham and Sam Burgess talk on the NRL footy show and they basically said what I said above

Only other prop for me that comes close to him is Clubb.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

So it was just speculation and not any offers, wasn't Sutton the only one of our props to have any real offers from the NRL in recent years (once Mossop left)? Could of been Crosby but sure it was Sutton
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Josie's friend wrote:So it was just speculation and not any offers, wasn't Sutton the only one of our props to have any real offers from the NRL in recent years (once Mossop left)? Could of been Crosby but sure it was Sutton

Yes Ryan had an offer from the Roosters, whilst Flower fielded a couple of deals put to him from other NRL clubs, not sure if one was the Raiders ?
Think FPN also has a deal on the table to return to Oz, whilst Bateman has rejected the NRL on two or three occasions (think one from Wayne Bennett at the Broncos), as of course, has SOL on several occasions also.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:Flower by far is the only prop NRL clubs would jump at the chance to get from us. Some are living in the 80's and 90's where props made 20-30 meters carry and charged into tackle a player. Game has changed props need to run 10-15 meters hit the deck when tackled and get up asap. Flower is amongst the best in SL at that and very solid in defence hardly ever comes in for a big shot but ensures that the player is held so 2 and 3rd man comes in to control the speed.

Listened to James Graham and Sam Burgess talk on the NRL footy show and they basically said what I said above

OK so if we ever get Flower and Clubb on the pitch together does that mean we should expect to dominate other teams packs? Or are there any other props in the league who you rate as NRL grade?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Flower NRL grade?the Ben flower who plays for Wigan?must be watching a different player to me then.

Really nice guy an all but NRL grade oh I really don't think that'd have worked out well at all,plus all this "interest" and "offers" that appear usually is just agent talk looking for a good deal for their man.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:Flower by far is the only prop NRL clubs would jump at the chance to get from us. Some are living in the 80's and 90's where props made 20-30 meters carry and charged into tackle a player. Game has changed props need to run 10-15 meters hit the deck when tackled and get up asap. Flower is amongst the best in SL at that and very solid in defence hardly ever comes in for a big shot but ensures that the player is held so 2 and 3rd man comes in to control the speed.

OK so if we ever get Flower and Clubb on the pitch together does that mean we should expect to dominate other teams packs? Or are there any other props in the league who you rate as NRL grade?
No we do not dominate packs through our props in attack. Flower and Club will not start a game together as Club is an impact prop and a good one at that. Club is the fastest prop I have seen on a short spell in defence terms. He is a beast in defence.

As for players Hill is very good and would go well in the NRL. Not many NRL props who come here are that great. If Fpn has A deal to go back then he is lucky not played that many good games for us. Problem is that hardly any SL players makes an impact in the NRL.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

There are some amazing props in the NRL, there are also some very mediocre ones, some have played SL, some have played for our club and some currently do, Flower would hold his own no problem!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:There are some amazing props in the NRL, there are also some very mediocre ones, some have played SL, some have played for our club and some currently do, Flower would hold his own no problem!!
Totally agree.

FPN is prime example give me Flower any day