Re: Are the club not bothered about the Grand Final?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

It became less of an importance over the last 2 months. Injuries have set us back massively this season. Still no excuse for some performances since the side got back together.

Next week will tell us a lot I can imagine injuries recurring again on Lockers and ST etc only for them to be fit for the CC final.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Is it feasible to be able to turn it on and off at will? I doubt it.
We have not been particularly convincing in any but two games this season and it's reasonable to say in my opinion, that we would have been turned over by Leeds or Hull last week.
So we are at Wembley by a bit of good fortune when the Wire match is thrown into the mix?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Is it feasible to be able to turn it on and off at will? I doubt it.
We have not been particularly convincing in any but two games this season and it's reasonable to say in my opinion, that we would have been turned over by Leeds or Hull last week.
So we are at Wembley by a bit of good fortune when the Wire match is thrown into the mix?!
Your top line we did that in 2013 we stopped playing after getting top 4 sorted. Rested players played our strongest side in the CC final. Then rested again until the play offs.

We lost badly to the Giants and Leeds in the regular rounds that year. But in the play offs we went up a few gears as we did in the CC final. We can switch it on and off problem is this season is this side good enough to do that. We have not really played well against a top side since the first month. Beating Salford last week for me is not us beating a top 4 side as they are struggling and have been for the last few weeks.

I have a feeling we are not as good as some on here think. Time will tell on that.
Wandering Warrior

Unfortunately that was then and this is now. The side then was arguably more balanced with players not out of position and a half decent goal kicker. This side is a shadow of that one and your last sentence is a roundabout testimony to that gimble.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I half remember a comment by IL that winning at Wembley generated a lot more money for the club than winning the Grand Final and perhaps this idea has infected the club.
Not sure,well I am really,that this financial calculation did not include missing a super 8 game and a semi final game as well as the final.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

thegimble wrote:
I have a feeling we are not as good as some on here think. Time will tell on that.
At last a braver man than I,ive thought this for many a month now (well years) as player after player has left and simply havent been replaced,the famed "strength in depth"simply isnt there,its a bunch of talented yes,kids and you can't expect them to carry the club as has been proved this season.

I cant remember the last time so few fans travelled to Leeds,i know the expense of the CC and all but the fact s few went is a testament to this terrible season.
Wandering Warrior

Give that one to gimble foz not me, check. I agree though with the comment.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Give that one to gimble foz not me, check. I agree though with the comment.
will do mate,my editing skills are terrible :D
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

fozzieskem wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:Give that one to gimble foz not me, check. I agree though with the comment.
will do mate,my editing skills are terrible :D
Mine are so bad at times I actually understood that compliment was to me.

Blame the forum or ref I do.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

This whole season has been terrible (apart from WCC) the club and some fans seem to have pre-prepared excuse for every dull performance. Injuries an excuse, gaining fitness an excuse needing to play kids once again an excuse.
Every club goes through issues but take for example Micky Mac, goes off at 20 and back on at 60. If he isn't capable of doing a full 80 why did Sam get dropped, why are we carrying people and hindering the progress of people like Sam.
Lockers is my favourite player but Bateman should of took the 13 jersey two seasons ago, we can't learn to cope without Sean if he's in and out of the team.

Probably (almost definitely) gone off topic but is this Wigan RL or a boys club were mates have their own clique?