Tonight Payback Time

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
LooseHead

Re: Tonight Payback Time

Post by LooseHead »

Great win, thought FPN got our pack moving in his second stint and some good defence.

On the sending off - sorry, not a sending off for me. MM shot the line so quickly to make the big hit that Watts had no time to react. He catches the ball, transfers it to his carry position and then MM is on him like a train from the edge of his vision. He doesnt lead with the arm, he's basically stood still when MM hits him. If he's done anything it's to try and fend the hit. MM had his technique well off by not getting his head to the side - hitting at waist height on someone that big at that speed makes technique a second thought and MM lost the gamble. Video ref has obviously never played prop, or realised why coaches tell defenders not to shoot the line and go hunting like that. Plenty of ways of making a big hit without running across your A&B defenders and going for the hero shot.

yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Watch the replay again. After hitting McIlorum, Watts then sticks his elbow into Clubb's face. That would have been a penalty in itself.

As for the second half, I was disappointed that we let our 6-20 lead slip. If Gildart had taken in that pass, it would have been 6-26 and definitely game over. Hull, to give them credit, battled well to get back into it, and at least the Wigan players reacted at the end to get over the line. Need to be more clinical in the remaining games though. Also, it was a must opportunity to improve our points difference. A twenty or thirty points win looked on the cards, and that would have done us no harm.

As it is, the two points are invaluable. Hull play Wakefield next, so points are being dropped there. We can't expect Sintellins to drop any points against Salford or Huddersfield, although Huddersfield are capable of doing us a favour.

So if we assume saints will win their last two games, no matter who wins on Thursday, it still puts us in the position of having to win both of our games to ensure we finish top 4.

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Watch the replay again. After hitting McIlorum, Watts then sticks his elbow into Clubb's face.
This is a key point that has been missed by most.

If he hadn't done this I think he might have stayed on the field as the initial contact was very fast.

Imo, and only he would know this, he reacted to MM charge with a bad (but not necessarily malicious) decision to raise his elbow slightly.

Buoyed by this he then went looking. Big mistake.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I thought the forearm and elbow were clearly two different body parts! :eh:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
SJ

Post by SJ »

Good old blood and thunder game. Enjoyed it - went through all the emotions. Ups and downs good win. Can't see Watts receiving a ban. Sending off sufficient.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The analysis of the Watts sending off was an utter disgrace.

The referees simply can't win.
Hicks had already warned the captains three times about niggles and foul play. Connor had already been penalised for hitting MM in the throat. As for SKY, dreadful, no mention of what had gone on before.

Watts was sent off as much as for what he had done in the context of what had gone on before as for the elbow into MM's face.
If there was a game that needed two refs it was last night's prior to the sending off which settled matters down.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ddtftf wrote:How Gelling got the man of the match over Lockers tonight beggers belief
A Gelling: 2 Tries; 1 Assist; 11 Tackles; 2 Missed Tackles; 5 Busts: 3 Clean Breaks; 193 Metres; 12.06 Average Gain; 2 Errors; 1 Offload; 1 Penalty.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

thegimble wrote:
Barney841 wrote:One serious question. Is leuluai playing?
When did we sign him? Cause I have not seen a thing from him this season. Passenger of the highest order.
Could be worse, we could still have Matty Smith.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Felt sorry for Hicks lots of nonsense going on from the start,not a fan of the two ref system but it would have made life easier last night.

The sending off? Not for me,MM got the tackle wrong and was wiped out,don't know why though Hull grate my naffs,the constant niggling really gets on my nerves.

Wigan should have won that game at a canter,that they didn't shows the issues of this season perfectly,good in parts followed by long periods of dross,the squad needs a shake up.

Lockers immense again Gildart good two but FPN did what he does and marshalled the defence in the second half.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I'm done with this site

You can't have any opinion other than "Wigan are perfect and the best thing ever" too many agendas not enough real debate anymore

There are a few people still trying but I'm sick of sniping from keyboard warriors

It's been a blast byw
Yep sadly agree with you. I do a lot more reading than posting these days. Even then I am selecting what I read.

This place has gone down the pan.