Vs cas

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bonnie Raithwaite

Re: Vs cas

Post by Bonnie Raithwaite »

Cas were missing their two key players, Gale and Roberts.

They had Trueman at half back, who I watched being played off the park by Josh Woods in the U19s Grand Final.

And yet ...... they were the better team by a country mile! Wigan were predictably predictable in attack, and unusually soft in defence.

But the Cas coaching staff includes Powell, Ryan Sheridan, Danny Orr and Tony Smith - all accomplished halves in their day. Every time they threw the ball around they created an overlap - starting from the 1st set, they went 70 yards!!

Wigan are coached by a prop, and it's been showing for a couple of seasons now - he's run his course. A good motivator (usually) but tactically he hasn't got it.

I've watched Wigan since the 80's, but I won't pay to watch any more of this turgid rugby until there's a change of coach
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Bonnie Raithwaite wrote:Cas were missing their two key players, Gale and Roberts.

They had Trueman at half back, who I watched being played off the park by Josh Woods in the U19s Grand Final.

And yet ...... they were the better team by a country mile! Wigan were predictably predictable in attack, and unusually soft in defence.

But the Cas coaching staff includes Powell, Ryan Sheridan, Danny Orr and Tony Smith - all accomplished halves in their day. Every time they threw the ball around they created an overlap - starting from the 1st set, they went 70 yards!!

Wigan are coached by a prop, and it's been showing for a couple of seasons now - he's run his course. A good motivator (usually) but tactically he hasn't got it.

I've watched Wigan since the 80's, but I won't pay to watch any more of this turgid rugby until there's a change of coach
Difference was Woods played behind a dominant pack in the U19s final, today Trueman played behind one!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cherry.pie wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:There is no room for sentiment in sport, some of the greatest players that we have had got moved on when they started to decline, others were moved on because they were not good enough. IFL and Rads are responsible for the hiring and firing and they have made some really bad decisions, it's time for them to put it right. We badly need to undertake major surgery. I think most will agree that Waney has run his course and that we need new ideas on the training pitch. To give Joel a new contract was ludicrous, Tommy has been a disappointment. FPN, MM, Clubb and Powell are not good enough as we have no punch upfront and no creativity around the ruck. Faz and Batty play so wide that we might as well play them as centres rather than forwards. Cas are not a great team but they do the basics a lot better than most teams, anyone who knows nothing about RL would have thought that it was a must win game for Cas today and that Wigan had already qualified for the semis. If players can't get motivated in front of almost 16,000 fans with so much at stake then they have got to ask if they should be playing professional RL. This season has been shambolic and the CEO needs to sort it.
I disagree about Clubb. I think he's the sort of player every team would like - a prop forward who plays with intensity and determination and defends well with good line speed. He's the sort of prop any team would love to have alongside a top class prop forward. That's the problem we have. Most of our props fall into that category. Good front rowers who would get into many, if not most sides in Super League, but they would all have one or two key prop forwards who would be first choice. Players like Sutton and Clubb are our key men down the middle whereas at other sides they'd be alongside players like Hill, Walmsley, Amor, Fifita, Cuthbertson, Millington, Moors, Watts, Taylor etc.

All our props fall into the category of being fairly good on their day but not exceptional. When you combine that with two average hookers we're lacking a lot compared to other sides.

I find it hard to see the justification in the way that our props play. I'm pretty sure the idea was for our props to do less work in attack so that they can maintain their energy for high intensity defence. That's all well and good if they defend well but currently they aren't. It's a fine theory if you're facing big, immobile props to have fitter players who can outlast them. However, those days are gone. All teams are now looking for good athletes to play down the middle. Teams have props who can make 30+ tackles in a game and 150 metres and 20 carries and still be fit enough to defend well in the 80th minute. What exactly are we gaining from having small forwards who make few carries each game? We don't seem to be seeing any benefit in terms of more metres when they do make carries or stronger defence than other sides of similar ambition.
I understand your point about our props and I suppose that FPN was supposed to be the answer. Having said that I still have to be convinced by Clubb. Our hookers simply don't cut it for me, they need to be looking over their shoulders as Ganson is coming.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
superleague

Post by superleague »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:There is no room for sentiment in sport, some of the greatest players that we have had got moved on when they started to decline, others were moved on because they were not good enough. IFL and Rads are responsible for the hiring and firing and they have made some really bad decisions, it's time for them to put it right. We badly need to undertake major surgery. I think most will agree that Waney has run his course and that we need new ideas on the training pitch. To give Joel a new contract was ludicrous, Tommy has been a disappointment. FPN, MM, Clubb and Powell are not good enough as we have no punch upfront and no creativity around the ruck. Faz and Batty play so wide that we might as well play them as centres rather than forwards. Cas are not a great team but they do the basics a lot better than most teams, anyone who knows nothing about RL would have thought that it was a must win game for Cas today and that Wigan had already qualified for the semis. If players can't get motivated in front of almost 16,000 fans with so much at stake then they have got to ask if they should be playing professional RL. This season has been shambolic and the CEO needs to sort it.
I disagree about Clubb. I think he's the sort of player every team would like - a prop forward who plays with intensity and determination and defends well with good line speed. He's the sort of prop any team would love to have alongside a top class prop forward. That's the problem we have. Most of our props fall into that category. Good front rowers who would get into many, if not most sides in Super League, but they would all have one or two key prop forwards who would be first choice. Players like Sutton and Clubb are our key men down the middle whereas at other sides they'd be alongside players like Hill, Walmsley, Amor, Fifita, Cuthbertson, Millington, Moors, Watts, Taylor etc.

All our props fall into the category of being fairly good on their day but not exceptional. When you combine that with two average hookers we're lacking a lot compared to other sides.

I find it hard to see the justification in the way that our props play. I'm pretty sure the idea was for our props to do less work in attack so that they can maintain their energy for high intensity defence. That's all well and good if they defend well but currently they aren't. It's a fine theory if you're facing big, immobile props to have fitter players who can outlast them. However, those days are gone. All teams are now looking for good athletes to play down the middle. Teams have props who can make 30+ tackles in a game and 150 metres and 20 carries and still be fit enough to defend well in the 80th minute. What exactly are we gaining from having small forwards who make few carries each game? We don't seem to be seeing any benefit in terms of more metres when they do make carries or stronger defence than other sides of similar ambition.
I understand your point about our props and I suppose that FPN was supposed to be the answer. Having said that I still have to be convinced by Clubb. Our hookers simply don't cut it for me, they need to be looking over their shoulders as Ganson is coming.
But Macca has Roby in his back pocket :conf:
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

We were taught a lesson today in all departments and play. Unfortunately for our great club nothing will be learned and we will get the same old as long as the 'old firm' remain in place.
We were always the club of innovation, and of a standard to be followed by the rest but alas not any more.
SJ

Post by SJ »

superleague wrote:Hopefully that was Wanes last home game in charge, and next week his last permanently
That was the point of my earlier post. Lost on Biggles of course. If that game doesn't seal SW'S fate what will
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote:Looking through the posts here it's hard to disagree on much but the one thing I mainly disagree on is that the squad isn't as good as we think. We have some very good players. Some who could easily play NRL. Individually we are one of if not the best squad.
I've not wanted to jump on the sack wane bandwagon but watching these players running around not knowing weather they're coming or going just shows they lack direction. It looks like Wane tells them to play a specific way and if it goes tits up we have no plan B.
Nothing wrong with the squad, it's the coach.
I feel a noble/maguire thing could happen with this squad.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

SJ wrote:
superleague wrote:Hopefully that was Wanes last home game in charge, and next week his last permanently
That was the point of my earlier post. Lost on Biggles of course. If that game doesn't seal SW'S fate what will
Nothing you write is lost on me SJ. You ramble on about nothing and I treat you as selective ignore.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Barney841 wrote:
Blackpool_Pie wrote:Looking through the posts here it's hard to disagree on much but the one thing I mainly disagree on is that the squad isn't as good as we think. We have some very good players. Some who could easily play NRL. Individually we are one of if not the best squad.
I've not wanted to jump on the sack wane bandwagon but watching these players running around not knowing weather they're coming or going just shows they lack direction. It looks like Wane tells them to play a specific way and if it goes tits up we have no plan B.
Nothing wrong with the squad, it's the coach.
I feel a noble/maguire thing could happen with this squad.
Despite rumours and comments to the contrary, I fully expect Wane to be coach next year unfortunately. I think his contract is up next season so no money loss to our owner is this matter.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Lots of negativity regarding George Williams on here but I am told he has been injured all year and has had injections to get him on the pitch
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?