Warriors report £600k loss for title-winning year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors report £600k loss for title-winning year

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Re: Warriors report £600k loss for title-winning year

Post by DaveO »

During that time, wages (including social security costs) went up by around £200,000 to £4,666,337 – a figure which includes nearly £165,000 in contract termination payments to former players and coaches.
Needs to factor in contract termination cash for Wane going forward.

If he doesn't he will have to come up with a better excuse than this:
Lenagan has previously blamed the uncertainly of the Super-8s structure for a fall in revenue from ticket sales.
For this getting worse:
Wigan’s average gates have been around the 13,500 mark over the three years under this current league format; the previous two years were 14,000-plus and the two years before that both topped a 16,000 average.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’m still struggling to get my head around “record attendances”when the average is down on a few years back,spin or not?
jao711

Post by jao711 »

fozzieskem wrote:I’m still struggling to get my head around “record attendances”when the average is down on a few years back,spin or not?
. It's a verb.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Despite my view of attendances going forward going down if wepersist with Wane IL does have some cause to suggest this:
Lenagan has previously blamed the uncertainly of the Super-8s structure for a fall in revenue from ticket sales
I think it was the Swiss soccer league (or some other European one) that tried this format and what they saw as a result was declining attendances across the board.

Have to see how other clubs stack up. Variation due to success/failure compared to past seasons will affect each club but you would hope would average out at least a little.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:Despite my view of attendances going forward going down if wepersist with Wane IL does have some cause to suggest this:
Lenagan has previously blamed the uncertainly of the Super-8s structure for a fall in revenue from ticket sales
I think it was the Swiss soccer league (or some other European one) that tried this format and what they saw as a result was declining attendances across the board.

Have to see how other clubs stack up. Variation due to success/failure compared to past seasons will affect each club but you would hope would average out at least a little.
Welsh football attempted it in its main league which had 1 decent side as good as Divison 4 as it were in the English league and 3 others who could give them a game. Rest were cannon fodder. Lasted 2 years did not work.

Its made SL an awful spectacle to watch.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A £600k loss is a staggering amount.
I do hope this will end the deep pockets and short arms accusation against IL. He will have underwritten this loss from his own pocket.

There maybe many reasons for this degree of financial loss be it lower crowds, merchandising, increased costs especially salaries.

I do hope this financial year brings better figures with hopefully a profit. A Cup Final appearance may help as we are told this does the accounts any amount of good.
Let's hope so for IL's sake.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Not having your own upto date stadia affects you also.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Wes wrote:Not having your own upto date stadia affects you also.
when you have your own stadium ,instead of rent you pay all the bills on the stadium.ie maintenance ,staff,rates etc and believe me it won't be cheap,and that's if you've paid for the stadium,no loans outstanding.
Wes

Post by Wes »

jao711 wrote:
Wes wrote:Not having your own upto date stadia affects you also.
when you have your own stadium ,instead of rent you pay all the bills on the stadium.ie maintenance ,staff,rates etc and believe me it won't be cheap,and that's if you've paid for the stadium,no loans outstanding.
The revenue and opportunities a modern stadium brings in are excellent.