Signings?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
6742hitch

Signings?

Post by 6742hitch »

I see other top flight clubs are already signing players in prep for next season (Leeds and Cas), have we anybody lined up or will we leave it till last minute when all that's left are the 'bargain bin dvds by the checkout' players that no one obviously wanted?!
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Signings?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

6742hitch wrote:I see other top flight clubs are already signing players in prep for next season (Leeds and Cas), have we anybody lined up or will we leave it till last minute when all that's left are the 'bargain bin dvds by the checkout' players that no one obviously wanted?!
Wane alluded to the fact signings could be made, i dont know how much the lockers contract talks will effect that.

We need to bring in proven quality rather than any more project players though
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Great point, I was only thinking the same myself. Wardle and a couple more for Cas, Leeds new prop. We are desperate for an injection of something ideally 3 or 4 good proven players.

Are we losing our pull, we should still be able to attract quality plyers to the club but we seem to more interested in project players. Is it money\wages, is it our systems either way we don't seem to be able to attract.

Come on after the drivel we have been watching for years please give the fans something to look forward to
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

acwrlfc wrote:Great point, I was only thinking the same myself. Wardle and a couple more for Cas, Leeds new prop. We are desperate for an injection of something ideally 3 or 4 good proven players.

Are we losing our pull, we should still be able to attract quality plyers to the club but we seem to more interested in project players. Is it money\wages, is it our systems either way we don't seem to be able to attract.

Come on after the drivel we have been watching for years please give the fans something to look forward to
Moral amongst supporters needs a massive boost. Has IL lost the plot?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

If the club wants to keep existing season ticket holders (or more unlikely attract new ones) then new blood at coaching and playing level is needed. An unentertaining style of play is often overlooked when you’re winning but when you lose it just adds insult to injury. However the salary cap is readjusted to achieve this, changes need to be made. This is Wigan we’re talking about - sixth place in the bloody league and a crap style of play, injuries or not.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

markill

Post by markill »

If we signed the players Leeds and Castleford have signed, people would be slagging the club for those signings I imagine - maybe Joe Wardle aside.

But Gary Lo, from a Championship club. He'd be called a project player and no mistake! Mitch Clark, if that Cas signing is confirmed, another Championship signing that wouldn't exactly be celebrated by our fanbase as much more than a squad body at best.

And Nathaniel Peteru, a 25 y/o who has only played 20 something games in the NRL, he'd be called a second rate player only coming over here as no-one wants him in the NRL. Would anyone seriously be crying out for us to get Richie Myler or Brad Dwyer? More people would moan about signings like that than celebrate them I strongly suspect.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Myler and Dwyer would both improve our squad, I don't think there's any doubt about that.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I'd have Dwyer in a flash. Clever, sharp player a game changer(which we haven't got many of)
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

markill wrote:If we signed the players Leeds and Castleford have signed, people would be slagging the club for those signings I imagine - maybe Joe Wardle aside.

But Gary Lo, from a Championship club. He'd be called a project player and no mistake! Mitch Clark, if that Cas signing is confirmed, another Championship signing that wouldn't exactly be celebrated by our fanbase as much more than a squad body at best.

And Nathaniel Peteru, a 25 y/o who has only played 20 something games in the NRL, he'd be called a second rate player only coming over here as no-one wants him in the NRL. Would anyone seriously be crying out for us to get Richie Myler or Brad Dwyer? More people would moan about signings like that than celebrate them I strongly suspect.
A shining light of sense amongst the doom and gloom. Well said, Mark.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Carney.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards