Hookers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
acwrlfc

Hookers

Post by acwrlfc »

Watching that terrific game last night, got me thinking and the four semi finalists and how their hookers play the full, or most of the 80 mins, This must give them some continuity and better use of the bench rather than our outdated of a 20 min stint follows by a 40 min stint and then a final 20 min stint.

The hookers of the final 4 are exceptional players in my opinion and certainly add value to their respective sides. Its a key area\aspect of the game and something we badly need to address. MM full 80, as i don't see Powell being the answer and also i am not convinced the same system next year with TL being the replacement is hooker is going to work either. It an outdated tactical approach.

Just on last night , how good was James Roby, although he plays for our main rivals, he is a true great of the SL era
medlocke

Re: Hookers

Post by medlocke »

Powell can play 80, he did it all last season, we became Champions

MM can't play 80, the end
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I've felt for Sam Powell this year tbh. He doesn't have a game which will catch the eye over short spells but he does have a game that stands out over 80 minutes. If you used Danny Houghton for 15/20 mins here and there, nobody would bat an eyelid at his performances but because he's so fit and his work rate is so high, he stands out when playing full games. I would put Sam Powell in a very similar bracket and that would be my plan next year. Play Powell for the full 80 (or close to) every week.

As for MM, I'm a huge fan and always have been but he has a game that's as suited to 13 as it is to hooker imo. He can get through his defensive work in there and when tactically he isn't shackled from running the ball, he'll have no problem with that either. He can play a little as well.

In 2018 Sam Powell would be my hooker, Lockers would be my loose forward and Micky Mac would fit in where he could.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:Powell can play 80, he did it all last season, we became Champions
And this season? He's not good enough. He'd be one dreading his mate Mr Wane getting replaced for sure.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Since McIllorum returned we have had the least effective hooker combination in the league. Powell's strength was that he could be reasonably effective for 80 minutes giving us another prop reducing their workload by 25%. McIllorum makes no metres,never puts anyone through a gap, is too immobile to make many tackles and misses 1 in4 of the ones where people run at him. His stats are horrific for someone presumably well paid.
The answer though could well be to play Tommy there, and move Sam into the halves, with Escare at 1. If someone, anyone would buy McIllorum we could use the money and buy ourselves a centre,
And pigs will be seen above Rivingon Pike.
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Iam with Dave O on this one, i just don't feel he is up to it and offers very little especially compared to the ones of the final four.

Also my point was that should we be looking at hooking combinations or allowing one player to play the role
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

For me MM simply hadn’t offered anything much since his return for me if I where in charge I’d be thinking of a full time change,Powell is an unfussey player but one who can play for the full game but looking last night at Roby it was for me a masterclass of a performance it kind of puts our hookers Wigan have into perspective
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

What does MM do besides go in for big hits and pass from the ptb?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

What's frightening is that Matt Parcell a non rated Aussie hooker can come over here and make the dream team. Why can't we (as a game) produce a Cameron Smith type of hooker rather than our "scooters"
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Blackpool_Pie wrote:What does MM do besides go in for big hits and pass from the ptb?
He's Rock hard as well