Re: grand final

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Show me where I have said you cannot do this? I have actually said in an ideal world and very few teams achieve this but entertaining and winning the trophies is the pinnacle!

Remember this is elite level RL apparently and winning is EVERYTHING, if you can entertain at the same time then fantastic!

Like I have always said ask the Chairman, Coach, Staff, Players and Fans would they sacrifice their entertainment value for a GF win like Leeds, the answer is YES, in a heartbeat, again it is Elite level sport not a circus!

As for the LLS I totally agree with you but sadly for Cas no one cares about it and no one remembers the winners!!
I think you'll find a team that plays completely drab boring and poor to watch versions of any sport will not go down well with fans which in turn will reduce tickets, which in turn will reduce income, which in turn will reduce wages, which in turn will reduce player quailty which in turn will reduce quality more - you see where i am going

Sport is about winning for the players of that sport, but the fans need more than that and to suggest otherwise is bonkers! The dictionary defintion of sport is;
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Put it an easier way, imagine you had a boxer who had a punch so devastating that he only had to hit a guy once didnt matter who he was against he knocked them out. Now imagine after 30 fights, how many fans do you think would come see this "winning" boxer shelling out £30 a ticket to watch 10 seconds of action. By your logic he is doing everything asked of him by sport law to win.

I am a big support in winning being the thing that matters and if i play a sport i play to win by any means however people arent paying to see me play sport. Sport is about entertainment as much as it is about winning.

Another scenario

Magically genie says to two sets of supports

Team A - your team will play attractive fast free flowing rugby all season you will see epic tries and bravery beyond belief. However in the final game of the season you will come up short

Team B - you will play appalling rugby all season, you will drag games out grinding them without ever creating drama. You will lose far more games than you win and the ones you win you will scrape through. However you will stringa few results together right at the death of the season scrape through and win the last game of the season in unspectacular fashion

Now which set of fans buy a season ticket and which buy a ticket to old trafford?
Wf1985 you are still missing the point, so I will leave you with this, entertaining is fantastic but before to long when you don't win anything it becomes pointless and mute because ultimately all the greatest teams are renowned for winning things. How many teams can you name that are famous for entertaining but not winning? How many teams can you name that are famous for winning things and dominating their sport?

Like I said if Cas keep entertaining but bottling it and winning nothing trust me, fans will stop watching, coaches will move on, players will leave etc. See where I am going with this? Why? Because they want to WIN trophies!!

Nothing is better for a club than winning trophies!

Who are the 2 biggest clubs in SL? Why? Because they entertain or because they have the most prestigious history of winning trophies?

Who are the 2 biggest clubs in English football? is it because they entertain or win things?

Who is the biggest name in boxing? Does he always entertain or is he 50 and 0 with numerous titles?

No need to go on, ELITE level sport is about WINNING, ENTERTAINING as well is a massive bonus and lovely if it happens!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
moto748 wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I am sure the Cas fans were not to upset on Saturday after not winning the CC or GF because they played great rugby all year! :doz:
I'm sure they are gutted. Nevertheless, they will no doubt be looking forward to next season with confidence. Can we say the same?
To play amazing rugby and bottle it again when it matters? Bet they can hardly contain themselves!
Its a balance of what your expectations, Cas will feel gutted for the lose in both big games this season. They can feel proud but pride is no replacement for success in professional sports.

Best attacking sides generally do not win the GF the most resilient ones do. And Leeds are that as are we. We got to the CC final and did not turn up but still had the resilient if decisions were given correctly we could have won it.

As for Cas next season and us. I am more confident now of us going into next season than I was 2-3 months ago. We lost 9 on the bounce missed out on a semi spot by 2 points. Our injury issues has decreased massively. Beginning of the season we did play some very good attacking rugby. At the end it was shocking.

Cas going into next season will struggle they never had massive injury issues even Gale came at the right time. Imagine if that happened the semi week. And they will miss ZH a huge loss for them as Saturday showed.

If IL has given Wane more flexibility in terms of success and we play more like the 2012-2014 sides then we will at least be better to watch. I just hope those who feel proud for Cas in bottling both big games give Wane the same respect if we entertain next season and achieve little.

I do except us to win more and score more next season the biggest question is will we have a kicker to convert them. Next few weeks for us is massive next season we need the right attacking coach and not TL out of loyalty but a proper one. We need a kicker desperately something we have needed since Pat retired.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

thegimble wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
moto748 wrote: I'm sure they are gutted. Nevertheless, they will no doubt be looking forward to next season with confidence. Can we say the same?
To play amazing rugby and bottle it again when it matters? Bet they can hardly contain themselves!
Its a balance of what your expectations, Cas will feel gutted for the lose in both big games this season. They can feel proud but pride is no replacement for success in professional sports.

Best attacking sides generally do not win the GF the most resilient ones do. And Leeds are that as are we. We got to the CC final and did not turn up but still had the resilient if decisions were given correctly we could have won it.

As for Cas next season and us. I am more confident now of us going into next season than I was 2-3 months ago. We lost 9 on the bounce missed out on a semi spot by 2 points. Our injury issues has decreased massively. Beginning of the season we did play some very good attacking rugby. At the end it was shocking.

Cas going into next season will struggle they never had massive injury issues even Gale came at the right time. Imagine if that happened the semi week. And they will miss ZH a huge loss for them as Saturday showed.

If IL has given Wane more flexibility in terms of success and we play more like the 2012-2014 sides then we will at least be better to watch. I just hope those who feel proud for Cas in bottling both big games give Wane the same respect if we entertain next season and achieve little.

I do except us to win more and score more next season the biggest question is will we have a kicker to convert them. Next few weeks for us is massive next season we need the right attacking coach and not TL out of loyalty but a proper one. We need a kicker desperately something we have needed since Pat retired.
Enough said Gimble!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett