A serious replacement?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
SiY

A serious replacement?

Post by SiY »

Ok, Rads may not be leaving but if he does i will respect his decision seeing as he has dedicated his life to the club and has bled for it.

But if he does go, who is a serious replacement for him?
I just wont settle for Brown or some youngster. I feel we need to get some quality to replace quality. I would love to see Briscoe come back to the JJB, but is that a possibility? Can you think of any actual replacements?
ChrisA

Re: A serious replacement?

Post by ChrisA »

Briscoe wouldnt return, why would he. If he did it would mean a fee being paid, and I cant see Mo paying for a player he let go.

John Wilshire has a had a very good season at Leigh, brilliant in fact if you consider the side he is playing in, he's safe under the highball and can tackle, and to me he is just as good as an attacking player as Rads is now.

Other than that no players in SL spring to mind at all, I dont want Reardon, he is very overated in my book, and like alot of so called good fullbacks in this country his positioning is crap.

We may have to look for a kulpak signing to replace him I'm afraid.

SiY

Post by SiY »

If Mo isnt willing to get Briscoe back i feel he would be cutting his nose off to spite his face. When i watch Briscoe play i can see he will be the next GB fullback and probably as good as Rads. To me it looks like Briscoe has modeled himself on Rads. Just look at old videos of Rads in attack and look at Briscoe now they are very similar. And briscoe's defence is good and will improve we forget he is still young.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

SiY posted:
If Mo isnt willing to get Briscoe back i feel he would be cutting his nose off to spite his face. When i watch Briscoe play i can see he will be the next GB fullback and probably as good as Rads. To me it looks like Briscoe has modeled himself on Rads. Just look at old videos of Rads in attack and look at Briscoe now they are very similar. And briscoe's defence is good and will improve we forget he is still young.
To be honest i think Brisoce is better going forward than Rads is, he seems alot more clever with the ball and has a much better side step than Rads has ever had, but he will never compare to Rads under the highball or in defence.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Lots of fullbacks are better than Rads on attack - it depends how you look on a fullback's prime responsibility. IMO, a fullback is mainly a defender, which is why Rads is consistently picked ahead of say, Wellens or Reardon for GB. both are better in attack, but nowhere near as good in defence. Briscoe is probably about 4th or 5th choice for GB ATM (and not even in the 40-man train-on squad), mainly because he can't tackle.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

GeoffN posted:
Lots of fullbacks are better than Rads on attack - it depends how you look on a fullback's prime responsibility. IMO, a fullback is mainly a defender, which is why Rads is consistently picked ahead of say, Wellens or Reardon for GB. both are better in attack, but nowhere near as good in defence. Briscoe is probably about 4th or 5th choice for GB ATM (and not even in the 40-man train-on squad), mainly because he can't tackle.
Agree totally, Ive never seen a better fullback defencivly.

Back to the topic, we have signed Richards who can play fullback, so there may be a ready made repalcement in place already. If he does play fullback, we need to sign another centre.
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

I beleive rads is THE best defensive fullback in the game and he is also one best going forward, true he doesnt have a flashy side step and glide past players, but who is chasing every grubber kick or chip over that wigan put in (and he gets to most) he is also a great support player on a break, just think of the times he runs through the defence when someone hasnt passed him the ball.

If rads leaves he will be as big a loss to the club as farrell. there will be now grudges from me if he does go, he has been a great servant to the club. Better at sale than to a SL club
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

JIMH posted:
I beleive rads is THE best defensive fullback in the game and he is also one best going forward, true he doesnt have a flashy side step and glide past players, but who is chasing every grubber kick or chip over that wigan put in (and he gets to most) he is also a great support player on a break, just think of the times he runs through the defence when someone hasnt passed him the ball.
Very true. He might not beat a player with a step but his support play is second to none. Wasn't he top try scorer a couple of seasons back? Not bad for "poor" attacking full back.

I have noticed since Rads has been out how many teams are putting the Wigan full back (whoever it is on the day!) under pressure with bombs. You tend not to see this very much when Rads plays as they know it is a waste of a kick!
If rads leaves he will be as big a loss to the club as farrell.
I agree it will be another case of only realising what you have lost once he's gone. There are people going on about how much he earns at Wigan and suggesting the money could be better spent but I honestly think Radlinski gives good value for money. He is a class apart and so deserves his wage and he pays it back. You get what you pay for!

He has been over recent years one of the few players to give 100% week in, week out. He and Farrell are one of a very select few who you can say that about. Rarely has a bad game and always does his best.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doug Stand posted:
DaveO posted:
He and Farrell are one of a very select few who you can say that about. Rarely has a bad game and always does his best.

Dave
They are also part of the old school as well. Part of the last succesful era of Wigan. The last ones of that era. Both done everything in the game at club level. He has to be replaced at some point and if he does decide to go to Union he will go with a huge thanks from me and the utmost respect. A great full-back. I have never seen a better last line and a scoring sensation. You can't really ask for more. We are in a rebuilding. When we are finally ready to challange for honours again... Rads will be getting to need replacing then anyway.
All good things come to an end but in both Farrell's and Radlinski's cases I think it was (Farrell) and would be (Rads) premature to to get rid.

Farrell would be doing a job for us now better than any back row forward we have on the books and Radlinski will be a better full back than we can sign this year when he returns form injury or next season as well for that matter.

I think when you look at it like that it is obvious the time to let them go ought to have been/be at the end of their contracts. That would give the club the time to sort out replacements but as it is, it hasn't done so with Farrell and will struggle to do so with Rads if he is not available next season.

Dave
chorleywarrior

Post by chorleywarrior »

Wigan Warriors owner Dave Whelan said the Super League side have received offers for full-back Kris Radlinski from rugby union.
Whelan told BBC GMR that Wigan, who let Andy Farrell change codes earlier this year, would support Radlinski over whatever decision he chose to make.

London Irish, Leicester and Sale have been mentioned as possible destinations should the 29-year-old decide to move.It's looking more likely that his Wigan days are numbered now!!