Whose going to come second?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Whose going to come second?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wikimann

Re: Whose going to come second?

Post by Wikimann »

Probably whoever comes out of the Group of death (B) in the best shape!
Don't bet against Samoa or Tonga on "almost home soil" as they are loaded with NRL talent for this RLWC, including several well documented (Andrew Fifita/Jason Taumalolo/Josh Papalii) defectors who would of been first choice for both the Roos & Kiwis.
Add to that it has weakened the Kiwis on top of them already losing their first choice halves,Johnson & Foran.

Its a group which has some serious competition edge in all games,which will prepare any of them very well for the following rounds (sorry Scotland but you could well be the whipping boys with them big Islanders around you).

I would of added Fiji to a potential wild card nomination had Radradra (Union),Bukuya (injured),Campbell-Gillard (Roos) & Tariq Sims (injured) made their squad.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

England will get to the final as long as they dodge Australia after the first rounds. NZ are not the side they were and Tonga are a threat.

After that no one else.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

thegimble wrote:England will get to the final as long as they dodge Australia after the first rounds. NZ are not the side they were and Tonga are a threat.

After that no one else.
The Samoan ???????? squad may beg to differ on that ???????? Coach: Matt Parish

Squad: Frank Pritchard (Captain) (Parramatta Eels), Bunty Afoa (NZ Warriors), Leeson Ah Mau (St George Illawarra Dragons), Fa'amanu Brown (Cronulla Sharks), Herman Ese'ese (Brisbane Broncos), Pita Godinet (Manly Sea Eagles), Tim Lafai (St George Illawarra Dragons), Joseph Leilua (Canberra Raiders), Ricky Leutele (Cronulla Sharks), Sam Lisone (NZ Warriors), Jarome Luai (Penrith Panthers), Suaia Matagi (Parramatta Eels), Peter Mata'utia (Newcastle Knights), Ken Maumalo (NZ Warriors), Zane Musgrove (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders), Joseph Paulo (Canberra Raiders), Junior Paulo (Cronulla Sharks), Ben Roberts (Castleford Tigers), Sam Tagataese (Cronulla Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (NZ Warriors), Young Tonumaipea (Melbourne Storm), Frank Winterstein (Manly Sea Eagles), Matthew Wright (Manly Sea Eagles).
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

It really does not matter, nobody remembers losers and I don,t think I could stand all the expectations of getting to the final then being battered by the Aussies.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

old hooker wrote:It really does not matter, nobody remembers losers and I don,t think I could stand all the expectations of getting to the final then being battered by the Aussies.

Best not bother watching, then.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

old hooker wrote:It really does not matter, nobody remembers losers and I don,t think I could stand all the expectations of getting to the final then being battered by the Aussies.
Quite honestly who cares if the Roos win ???????? It’s about showcasing the game in general to non league people especially & giving international RL some much needed exposure,particularly with it being in Oz,as we constantly accuse them of never looking beyond their own backyard!

For years we’ve been whining that international RL gets no support from down under & most Sydney siders are so insular they actually think QLD is a foreign country!! ???? (although the same could be levelled at the ???? sha@@ers over the Hill here ????)

IMO this WC could showcase things on a level not seen in previous tournaments.
The fact so many current talented NRL Islanders have chosen to tip up for their various heritage nations instead of the kiwis & even Roos makes it a very interesting scenario when they lock horns & will guarantee big crowds of ex pat Samoans,Tongans,Fijians at games.

Add the large Lebanese based Sydney community into the mix (still think Josh Mansour should of heeded Robbie Farahs call) who will turn up in numbers to fervently support regardless of any potential outcome!
There’s the Italian enclave who will also want to watch & PNG will grind to a national halt for every game!

It has the potential to spread the word like never before with exciting games,showcase the best athletes on the planet in front of some big crowds. Something we could never generate in this country but due to Australia’s very diverse ethnic mix who love League it’s a win win whoever wins!!

There’s no excuse not to watch as Freesports gives the chance to see each nation at least once & the Beeb also gives options if you don’t have premier.
Besides,what else is on TV early doors on a miserable November Saturday/Sunday.

I don’t get & never have understood why it’s not worth supporting the tournament because the Aussies will likely win.
Union people rock up in numbers every WC & it’s almost guaranteed the all blacks
will win but who cares.
They also have teams like Namibia & Uruguay who get slaughtered by 80-100 points but everyone wants to watch no matter how dire the games are.

I’m relishing the prospect of BJ Leilua or Junior Paulo smashing into Andrew Fifita or JWH ???? or Seeing how Wales cope with a nation of headhunters out to scalp them in Port Moresby!
Lebanon v France will be seriously competitive with historical colonial fervour & all this is before contemplating Sam Burgess getting into Boyd ‘Bum chin’ Cordner ????????
I’m up for it so should everyone else be who loves the game.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wikimann wrote:
Quite honestly who cares if the Roos win ???????? It’s about showcasing the game in general to non league people especially & giving international RL some much needed exposure,particularly with it being in Oz,as we constantly accuse them of never looking beyond their own backyard!

For years we’ve been whining that international RL gets no support from down under & most Sydney siders are so insular they actually think QLD is a foreign country!! ???? (although the same could be levelled at the ???? sha@@ers over the Hill here ????)

The fact so many current talented NRL Islanders have chosen to tip up for their various heritage nations instead of the kiwis & even Roos makes it a very interesting scenario when they lock horns & will guarantee big crowds of ex pat Samoans,Tongans,Fijians at games.

Add the large Lebanese based Sydney community into the mix (still think Josh Mansour should of heeded Robbie Farahs call) who will turn up in numbers to fervently support regardless of any potential outcome!
There’s the Italian enclave who will also want to watch & PNG will grind to a national halt for every game!

It has the potential to spread the word like never before with exciting games,showcase the best athletes on the planet in front of some big crowds. Something we could never generate in this country but due to Australia’s very diverse ethnic mix who love League it’s a win win whoever wins!!

There’s no excuse not to watch as Freesports gives the chance to see each nation at least once & the Beeb also gives options if you don’t have premier.

I don’t get & never have understood why it’s not worth supporting the tournament because the Aussies will likely win.
Union people rock up in numbers every WC & it’s almost guaranteed the all blacks
will win but who cares.
They also have teams like Namibia & Uruguay who get slaughtered by 80-100 points but everyone wants to watch no matter how dire the games are.

I’m relishing the prospect of BJ Leilua or Junior Paulo smashing into Andrew Fifita or JWH ???? or Seeing how Wales cope with a nation of headhunters out to scalp them in Port Moresby!
Lebanon v France will be seriously competitive with historical colonial fervour & all this is before contemplating Sam Burgess getting into Boyd ‘Bum chin’ Cordner ????????
:eusa2:
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Wikimann wrote:

will win but who cares.

Most definitely this!!!!

Matt
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Not even if they entertain? :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett