NRL coverage to go global with new live streaming service for 2018 season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
No straw damn us

Re: NRL coverage to go global with new live streaming service for...

Post by No straw damn us »

This is exactly the type of deal/service that Lenagan was advocating for Superleague.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

It may well signal the end of satellite coverage by UK broadcasters. Premier sports 5 year broadcasting rights deal ended with this seasons NRL GF & no news has been forthcoming,so far,regarding any further take up for next season.
It’s been suggested that Freesports taking some games towards the end of this years series was a direct result of premier sports losing the deal for next year.

It’s always been unlikely Sky would ever take up a new option on the NRL,being as they gave it away years ago. BT were a possibility but they’ve probably got too much invested in Union coverage.

Clearly the NRL are taking things into their own hands & see a big audience outside Australia that they can aim at,with total control over their own product,I’d say that’s a good thing all round.

The NFL in the states have done it for years so the model was there to follow.
I’ve always been in favour of having access to a sport channel that purely caters for my interests,rather than it being wrapped up in a package with other sports I have absolutely zero interest in,but I’m still expected to contribute towards with my subscription!.

If Sky didn’t own the RFL & SL I wouldn’t even bother subscribing to their sports channels as most of the other tripe they show is of absolutely no interest to me.
Eurosport are my main destination for sports outside RL as I’m a keen cyclist ???? & they have all major cycling events.

Premier have given decent value with all the games live from the NRL last few seasons but I’d absolutely jump at this totally dedicated streaming option from now on.
If only the muppets running RL in this country could deliver a similar service to us but I won’t be holding my breath any time soon.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:This is exactly the type of deal/service that Lenagan was advocating for Superleague.
And is there an audience for it for SL? Don't the Aussies already get all the SL games anyway?

Fox must think there is a market for this service for the NRL. SL's broadcast partner, Sky, show no signs of offering such a service and whether IL advocates it or not, with the RFL tied to Sky for the next how ever many years it won't happen unless they are involved.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wikimann wrote:
Clearly the NRL are taking things into their own hands & see a big audience outside Australia that they can aim at,with total control over their own product,I’d say that’s a good thing all round.
How are the NRL taking things into their own hands when the company providing the service is Fox, their existing broadcast partner? The NRL have not suddenly become an Internet broadcaster/streaming service provider. Fox are doing it for them.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

Fawdoffshed wrote:How much will it cost?
No details yet as it’s literally just been announced.
I’m guessing the NRL will be gauging opinion & seeing viewing figures from the World Cup before announcing a price structure.

Clearly they think,as do I,the WC could have quite a springboard effect for RL internationally & they want a slice of the international audience for their domestic product in the wake of it.

I can’t imagine it will be much,if any more,than the £11.99 monthly subs premier were taking as the NRL will be hoping to snap up all those customers. They won’t want to shoot themselves in the arse by over charging the very viewers they’re hoping to retain.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

DaveO wrote:
Wikimann wrote:
How are the NRL taking things into their own hands when the company providing the service is Fox, their existing broadcast partner? The NRL have not suddenly become an Internet broadcaster/streaming service provider. Fox are doing it for them.
My point really is,the NRL will provide the quality control over the content on offer & let Fox distribute it accordingly. A Guaranteed professional & glitzy presentation at all times,with a multitude of live matches,magazine shows,NRL related entertainment on offer instead of allowing a second rate broadcaster to showcase their shining product to the world ????????
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

But will it mean we have the commercials every time there is a break in play?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote:But will it mean we have the commercials every time there is a break in play?
Hope not.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

josie andrews wrote:But will it mean we have the commercials every time there is a break in play?
I would say a slight possibility rather than probably? It's available on demand via PC also fully prepped for mobiles & pads so you can probably take the content as is,whenever you want or replayed.

I'm pretty sure there will also be a blocker (not Steve Roach) on showing "Australian specific advertising" in non Australian geographic territory,which this new streaming set up is specifically aimed at.

Continental regions don't allow cross advertising for products from other regions (Asia,Europe,N America) yes it appears on chipped firesticks & the multitude of interweb smart boxes everyone now has but they aren't legit remember,this service is.