Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Sam Powell

Post by First Try Tickle »

I think if you asked fans to name one player currently in the squad who they thought wasn't Wigan standard they would probably say Sam Powell. Is this because he hasn't got it, or because he hasn't been coached well enough?

When Maguire was here I went on a coaches session at Orrell with him and a few players. One was Sam Powell. Now Madge rated him highly and told everyone he was the future because he was quick, good hands and a great tackler. But since then he doesn't seem to have kicked on, even after playing most of last season.

Now is this because Wane sees him as a utility player so doesn't coach him to play any position, or is it just he isn't good enough.

Maybe when the Michael Monaghan rumour is confirmed, he will have someone to work with who could bring his game on. Even if its just getting him to run from dummy half and throw some flat passes to the props like Monaghan did, then it will be a start.

I would love to see him really improve under Monaghan as we are struggling for a dominant hooker that runs the game. Mickey isn't that player and I've not seen enough of Ganson yet.
ddtftf

Re: Sam Powell

Post by ddtftf »

Sam plays to orders and is strangled as player capable of a lot more, he is told to just pass from dummy half so is not being able to develop as a play maker, when did you last see a Wigan player do a run around to make an extra man in attack or see players running the angles to hold up the defense. That all went when Maguire went and we have deteriorated ever since to just passing along a flat line totally boring
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ddtftf wrote:Sam plays to orders and is strangled as player capable of a lot more, he is told to just pass from dummy half so is not being able to develop as a play maker, when did you last see a Wigan player do a run around to make an extra man in attack or see players running the angles to hold up the defense. That all went when Maguire went and we have deteriorated ever since to just passing along a flat line totally boring
Did not go when Maguire went. It went after 2013 ever since than our standard of attack has got worse and worse. 2012 was a great attacking side. But since the 2014 WCC we have not played the same style.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

An assistant coach has been mentioned, who thinks that will happen?
Season tickets have gone on sale, wouldn't that be a handy push if it's meant?
Personally I think it's bs by SW to deflect criticism.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
ian b

Post by ian b »

i think Sam is a great player i also think Williams is a fantastic talent. It has to be the coaching surely or the players in the team don't play well together maybe
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

He's already proved he's better than Mickey Mac
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

If we were in Aus, then Sam would definitely be the starting No 9.

I also think he is a better RL player than MM, certainly more consistent.

That said MM does give the X factor in some of his plays.

I would play Sam at 9 with MM coming off the bench.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wintergreen wrote:If we were in Aus, then Sam would definitely be the starting No 9.

I like MM because of his tenacious defence HOWEVER what is this X factor you speak of?

Going forwards he’s pretty average to be fair.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wes wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:If we were in Aus, then Sam would definitely be the starting No 9.

I like MM because of his tenacious defence HOWEVER what is this X factor you speak of?

He motivates others around him and upsets some of the opposition plays.

Not enough to make him better than Sam P imo, and nowhere near enough to trouble the best hookers in the UK e.g. Roby, but it does have an impact.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote:
Wes wrote:

He motivates others around him and upsets some of the opposition plays.

Not enough to make him better than Sam P imo, and nowhere near enough to trouble the best hookers in the UK e.g. Roby, but it does have an impact.
Have to say, if im being mean, and I am had a terrible day. you didn't see much of this MM X factor you speak of last season