McIllorum

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wandering Warrior

Re: McIllorum

Post by Wandering Warrior »

But it will be MM out and none in. Does that suit you?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i think the problem with our hookers is more down to what they are being told to play

i am pretty sure that both MM and SP are capable of running more from dummy half, but are told to pass. MM played differently in world cup game and SP is a half back by trade, so more than capable of running with the ball in hand

James Roby in a Wigan side would be half as effective as he is in the Saint side as he would be coached to get the ball out of dummy half, and not to scoot / play what he sees

for what its worth i am pretty sure that either MM or SP can play for the full 80 minutes, so again i believe that the wasted substitution on the clock is down to the coaching to either keep players happy or just to be stubborn because thats what he believes is right. i just look at the other hookers in the league who play 80 mins week in week out, and are also more effective than what we see from 2 * 40 mins stints
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Rewatch some of our games from last season involving Micky, he's signalling to come off very quickly. What ever the problem is we are getting kept in the dark
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

the pieman wrote:i think the problem with our hookers is more down to what they are being told to play

i am pretty sure that both MM and SP are capable of running more from dummy half, but are told to pass. MM played differently in world cup game and SP is a half back by trade, so more than capable of running with the ball in hand

James Roby in a Wigan side would be half as effective as he is in the Saint side as he would be coached to get the ball out of dummy half, and not to scoot / play what he sees

for what its worth i am pretty sure that either MM or SP can play for the full 80 minutes, so again i believe that the wasted substitution on the clock is down to the coaching to either keep players happy or just to be stubborn because thats what he believes is right. i just look at the other hookers in the league who play 80 mins week in week out, and are also more effective than what we see from 2 * 40 mins stints
What's the obsession in this country with running from dummy half? How often does Cameron Smith do it? How often did Martin Dermott do it? They are/were hookers whose passing ability and decision making from dummy half give their halfbacks time and space.How often does Cameron Smith get tackled in possession compared to the Robys, Highams, Clarkes in our game?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

No straw damn us wrote:
the pieman wrote:i think the problem with our hookers is more down to what they are being told to play

What's the obsession in this country with running from dummy half? How often does Cameron Smith do it? How often did Martin Dermott do it? They are/were hookers whose passing ability and decision making from dummy half give their halfbacks time and space.How often does Cameron Smith get tackled in possession compared to the Robys, Highams, Clarkes in our game?
thats a very good point..... the better hookers seem to move sideways and pick there passes( rather than scooting or passing straight away) albeit thats diwn too tactics or quicker play the balls....terry newton and james lowes were also good at this
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

No straw damn us wrote:

Martin Dermott is the best modern day hooker that Wigan have had, Cam Smith is the finest I have seen. However, if they operated within our current game plan even they would struggle.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We have four hookers next season, something has to give!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:We have four hookers next season, something has to give!
so is Sam T taking over in the halves from Tommy?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

thegimble wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:We have four hookers next season, something has to give!
so is Sam T taking over in the halves from Tommy?
Or Escare, he also started in the halfback position.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wandering Warrior wrote:But it will be MM out and none in. Does that suit you?
Like I said earlier, I would let MM go ‘if’ a decent signing was coming in