John Atkinson, Leeds legend.

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ian.birchall

John Atkinson, Leeds legend.

Post by ian.birchall »

Sorry to need to post this but my neighbour John Atkinson who spent all his career with Leeds and was a World Cup winner in 1972 has sadly passed away at the age of 71 after struggling with alzheimers for a number of years.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: John Atkinson, Leeds legend.

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

A great winger. RIP.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Ive seen some of his trys and my dad said he was a good un..... very sad
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Top notcher . very sad to hear this ..R.I.P.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Later today I am going to the funeral of my friend John Atkinson.
We used to have jocular arguments about 'his greatest match' which despite his World Cup Final winners medal in 1972 I always insisted was the match against Wigan when his opposing winger for Wigan was Green Vigo who some posters may remember scored 6 tries playing opposite him.
Less well know is the fact that both John and Green Vigo were both included in the very first Open Rugby World 13 team in 1979 as the two best wingers in Rugby League that year.RIP John, you were good enough to play for Wigan.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

A player my old dad used to rate very highly,sad news of his passing
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

John Atkinson was a great player. In personality/temperament, I'd compare him to Kris Radlinski - always fair, sportsmanlike to the extent that even opposition fans wouldn't have a bad word to say about him.

His widow was interviewed on Look North in Yorkshire and showed great dignity. Having looked after him though such an awful time, she still conveyed her love and happy memories with great compusure.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Fawdoffshed
St Chads is a big Parish Church and was packed solid. They initially brought extra collapsible chairs and set them up in the Choir but by kick-off time it was still standing room only at the back.
Being married to a farmers daughter I have been to a few 'big' funerals but this surpassed them all, there were certainly 250 people present and probably more.
Talking to his wife at the after service reception I remarked that there was a big crowd for his last match in Leeds and she said it was pleasing so many of his former friends from the game had turned up for the funeral and it made her immensely proud.