McIlorum and Gelling released

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: McIlorum and Gelling released

Post by Barney841 »

Says on sky sports Wane said they’ve known about gelling for a while now, that’s why they signed sarginson.
If they knew a while ago, why not go for Bryson Goodwin?
So the club are telling us that the best they can get is sarginson?!?
Shocking
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I guess I'm in the small minority who think that Gelling is a bigger loss than MM. For me, we have three decent (if not amazing) options to replace MM. And we've managed fine without him for lengthy periods in the past. We can't say the same for Gelling. Sarge for him is a poor swap. Even if Sarge were fit, and he isn't.

I never thought things seems fully in tune between MM and the club after his 'testimonial' was tacked onto an away game.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote: Although I agree with most of what you say. Don't agree with saying getting rid of mac. This was both parties. After WC clubs came offering mac big money he wanted to talk to them that in itself says he was not completely happy with present situation at Wigan. (who can blame him) Club saw a opening that suited both parties mac had a bit of a wobble hence taking time to decide. imo i think from club prospective writing was on the wall for him the minute he talked to another club. And outcome suits both parties and bollocks to us fans.
He was pushed out. He didn't want to leave.

McIlorum, though, suggested the decision was made for him.

“After speaking with Ian (Lenagan) it was made clear my future was elsewhere,” he wrote, in a note included on Wigan’s press release.

from here:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-8936856
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Barney841 wrote:Says on sky sports Wane said they’ve known about gelling for a while now, that’s why they signed sarginson.
If they knew a while ago, why not go for Bryson Goodwin?
So the club are telling us that the best they can get is sarginson?!?
Shocking

Quite. Bryson Goodwin is a quality centre.
jobo

Post by jobo »

DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:2016 proved we don't need MM, we played better rugby than we did in 2017, we finished 4 places higher than in 2017, we became Super League Champions unlike in 2017
Good grief. What an absolutely ridiculous statement. A five year old would not come out with such daft "logic".
The logic might be flawed but I'd agree with Medlockes sentiment. Powell had a fantastic season in 2016 and with young Ganson doing so well, something had to give.
Don't think it's been handled very well but it could work out well for all parties.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

DaveO wrote:
old hooker wrote:Personally I have no problem with either of these 2 players leaving.MM is a tough tackling hooker and little else,
You obviously didn't watch any of the world cup then because his performances for Ireland prove otherwise. If he is one dimensional at Wigan, blame Wane and is "tactics". I suspect we will see the other aspects of MM's game he showed for Ireland at Les Cats.
Gelling far too inconsistent.However I have no confidence in IL spending on top class players being brought into the squad.
Well we already have Gellings replacement. Never a fan of his and thought he got away with his inconsistency due to his larking about. Him basically walking out of the club so the club not having to release him and thus pay him off was an unexpected Christmas present but then what does the club do? Contrives to replace him with an even worse player in Sarginson.

As to bringing in a top class replacement for MM well that obviously isn't going to happen. IL has told us we will have to settle for Powell, Ganson and TL. None of whom are as good as MM.
Yes Dave I did watch MM in the world cup and he played very well.One swallow however does not make a summer.He had an average season and in my opinion past his best which was never great.Having said that Powell is not the answer and Ganson is too young to judge.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wes wrote:What has MM offered us in the last 2 season on form that Powell hasn’t?

Serious question by the way.
Since he was out injured for most of one of them that is a bit of an strange question but if you want a proper answer I think Mark Aston is the man to answer it. The coach who had him playing as he did for Ireland.

As to a simple comparison with Powell, MM is better in every department. Better passer, better tackler and better dummy half player.

You are asking the wrong question anyway because if you really think MM is no better than Powell you should be asking why have we not got rid of the pair of them.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote: Although I agree with most of what you say. Don't agree with saying getting rid of mac. This was both parties. After WC clubs came offering mac big money he wanted to talk to them that in itself says he was not completely happy with present situation at Wigan. (who can blame him) Club saw a opening that suited both parties mac had a bit of a wobble hence taking time to decide. imo i think from club prospective writing was on the wall for him the minute he talked to another club. And outcome suits both parties and bollocks to us fans.
He was pushed out. He didn't want to leave.

McIlorum, though, suggested the decision was made for him.

“After speaking with Ian (Lenagan) it was made clear my future was elsewhere,” he wrote, in a note included on Wigan’s press release.

from here:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-8936856
Spotted that as well DaveO its was obvious he was pushed to safe money due to the crap player recruitment we have done over the last 3-4 years. Only player for me to exceed expectations we have signed in the last few years is ISA. As I did not except much at all in the first place.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:2016 proved we don't need MM, we played better rugby than we did in 2017, we finished 4 places higher than in 2017, we became Super League Champions unlike in 2017
Good grief. What an absolutely ridiculous statement. A five year old would not come out with such daft "logic".
About as ridiculous as your ranting on Dave, facts speak for themselves, we are constantly told that Hooker is one of the most important positions in the team, so if that is the case and as you say Powell is nowhere near as good as MM then how come we performed better and became champions in 2016 with a mediocre Hooker :exc:
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Why are we letting players go for free. It’s pretty obvious that Gelling will end up at New Zealand Warriors and MM is still twice the player SP is. Last year we fell to pieces when MM and Sean left the field. God help us this year. What is Radlinski thinking about our signings for this season have been a joke and he is the one handing out the contracts. Did he not watch the World Cup? We should have off loaded Tommy, Sam P, Willie I, Roman N. Everyone knows we are lacking a top centre and our pack needed to be beefed up. We will be lucky to finish above Widnes. If Radlinski can’t bring in the quality we need he needs to go and take Wane with him before we end up in the Championship