McIlorum and Gelling released

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
adiddy

Re: McIlorum and Gelling released

Post by adiddy »

Fawdoffshed wrote:
Barney841 wrote:If they bring in a good couple of signings, I’ll be happy. But the way they keep signing former players and can’t get rid of FPN, can’t see it.
Not looking forward to the new season at all
My neighbour and I were talking yesterday about probably the last time Wigan made a jaw-dropping signing that actually got the town buzzing.

Would we be right in saying it was Stuart Fielden?

Almost EIGHTEEN years ago.

Trent Barrett for me was the last of the big signings!!! But agree that Fielden was a shock at the time!!!

Matt
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

First Try Tickle wrote:
Fawdoffshed wrote:
Barney841 wrote:If they bring in a good couple of signings, I’ll be happy. But the way they keep signing former players and can’t get rid of FPN, can’t see it.
Not looking forward to the new season at all
My neighbour and I were talking yesterday about probably the last time Wigan made a jaw-dropping signing that actually got the town buzzing.

Would we be right in saying it was Stuart Fielden?

Almost EIGHTEEN years ago.
We signed Fielden in 2006.

The most recent big signing was Frank Paul, but look how that turned out.

our next 2 signings will be Gaz Hock and Chris Ashton.
It shows were we are at that we cant even laugh this off as not likely
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I still think that the signing of Noble/Fielden saved us from relegation.

The lift that Fielden gave us was priceless, and yes the buzz was amazing.

I am lucky enough to remember that buzz when Wigan were a world class RL club.

Offiah, Hanley, Bell, Wally Lewis (or was that a dream? ) :D
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:This pushed out for salary cap reasons is a load of b*llocks. Micky mac comes home from WC with a price on his head clubs offer him stupid money for 2 years. HE asks to speak to Catalan. Now if an employer of mine asks me can he go for a interview at another company I would take it he wants away. From that moment things where never going to go back to normal. There was not one bit of unrest with him before WC
You are correct Wigan had spent up to the cap, with Mickey now gone there is cash available. It will be interesting if and how we use it.
I feel like the club really need to do something to stop this downturn of "bad" news, we need a big signing IMO otherwise the club will start haemorrhaging fans.

This issue is with Powell is that in 2016 he did excellent in what was at the time a foreign position to him, there is however a massive difference between doing excellent considering the challenge and being excellent, Sam Powell is certainly not an Excellent Hooker

Its like the Mcgreggor/Mayweather situation just becuase Mcgreggor did better than most thought in something new doesnt make him good at that thing.

The measurements of Powell and MM are with different yard sticks, no one has ever talked of Powell out performing Roby, or being selected on the international set up or being wanted by NRL clubs.

When people measure MM they are measuring him against the best hookers in the world, Roby - Smith - Hodgson, When they measure Sam Powell they measure him against MM after a season out with injury and give Sam a handicap by saying "hes a half back playing hooker"

Trouble is that kind of attitude seems to be the norm now for Wigan we seem to be an excuses club, Sam T "he is doing well considering his injuries", Lockers "he's still playing well despite his age and body", Sam Powell "Hes pretty good at covering hooker for a half back", Tommy L "He's doing ok at half back considering hes really a hooker", Williams "he's doing good considering how young he is" etc etc

We arent looking at hardly any of the team at face value weve become unnervingly acceptant of average
Fair comment. Not really concerned with MM or Gells moving on. The conundrum is who we recruit (if anyone) my choice of position recruitment would be at centre who? No idea ? Any ideas anyone?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The timing of the Ashton story says to me if a deal isn’t done and dusted then it’s well on the way to being so,as for Hock words fail me if that one comes off
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

fozzieskem wrote:The timing of the Ashton story says to me if a deal isn’t done and dusted then it’s well on the way to being so,as for Hock words fail me if that one comes off
^ You "caunt speke"? :D

Why on earth would:

1. We need a winger?
2. Ashton leave a (presumably) massive salary in France?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wintergreen wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:The timing of the Ashton story says to me if a deal isn’t done and dusted then it’s well on the way to being so,as for Hock words fail me if that one comes off

Why on earth would:

1. We need a winger?
If we signed a winger it would be Josh Charnley.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:

Why on earth would:

1. We need a winger?
If we signed a winger it would be Josh Charnley.
:(

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wintergreen wrote:

Why on earth would:

1. We need a winger?
I presume the Ashton story stems from him saying he would like to return to wigan (story on Wigan Today)

given our recruitment policy of late i wouldnt write anything off!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Hoffman, Finch & Lima were the biggest, best and most established quality players we've signed since fielden.

Bowen was an amazing player, but obviously way past his best when he came to us.

so we've probably had 2 seasons (2006 & 2011) in over a decade to actually excite fans with player recruitment.