McIlorum and Gelling released

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jasonnlouise

Re: McIlorum and Gelling released

Post by jasonnlouise »

SJ wrote:
jasonnlouise wrote:
SJ wrote: Wallet Lewis was a dream. Try Gene Miles.

Ashton? Hock? I'm in Cuckoo land. Returning to Jamaica post

haste. :)

Thanks for that JL. Great names indeed. Ps didn't Lewis go to "Trinity"
I think Wally Lewis signed but broke his arm playing for Australia in France so it never happened if it had we'd have had Kenny Ella and Lewis in successive years
Yes he played for Wakefield but think that was earlier in the 80s possibly between the 82 and 86 tours
widdenoldboy

Re: McIlorum and gells gone

Post by widdenoldboy »

DaveO wrote:We have a fool of a chairman.

The statement from the clubs says this:
“Following his performance at the Rugby League World Cup several clubs expressed interest in Michael and we agreed that at this stage of his career it was right to allow him to explore his options. Several teams have put forward very favourable offers to Michael and we felt it right not to stand in his way.

“With Sam Powell and Thomas Leuluai both fine Hookers and the encouraging performances of Josh Ganson last season we believe the time has come for Michael to move on and for Wigan to look to the future."
For a start Powell is NOT a fine hooker. He has been played out of position there and offers NO threat. Josh Ganson did nothing to suggest he is first team material and TL, much as I like him as a player, he is the one nearing the end of his career not MM.

Lenegan acknowledged MM put in a fine performance in the WC that you would have thought would have everyone at the club feeling pretty pleased at the prospect of a fully fit MM taking to the field for us in 2018. But what does he do? No sooner does MM look back to his best he gets rid.

If we can't afford to keep hold of or simply do not value players of MM's calbre and experience there is something seriously wrong with the way the clubs run.

+1 on this

The oddest part is if TL is a good hooker why wasn't he playing there last season - especially when MM was injured?

Hard to fathom.
medlocke

Re: McIlorum and gells gone

Post by medlocke »

The thing that gets me is a lot of fans slag off certain players for upping their game for contract purposes, i suspect this is what MM did during the WC against poor sides, it back fired, IL didn't fall for this and saw the opportunity to free up some cash
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm actually regretting buying my season ticket now.

Micky Mac and Gelling added a bit of entertainment to a otherwise stale team

Youd hope the club would be bringing in a big name player with releasing these to.

Atleast we now know Powell is untouchable at the club
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I will miss Gelling, and the McIllorum from 2013. It will be fascinating to see how they go. I simply can't see Gelling getting a start at a structure first NRL club,
THE NZW these days play a 'structured' game too, or try to, and it's given them worse results than when they used to chuck it around.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:This pushed out for salary cap reasons is a load of b*llocks. Micky mac comes home from WC with a price on his head clubs offer him stupid money for 2 years. HE asks to speak to Catalan. Now if an employer of mine asks me can he go for a interview at another company I would take it he wants away. From that moment things where never going to go back to normal. There was not one bit of unrest with him before WC
Micky asked to speak to Catalans only after he knew Wigan werent prepared to increase his salary.
There is another player at Wigan who has had a dramatic increase in salary given to him to prevent him leaving to another SL club.
There are certain personality of players that Wigan are prepared to keep hold of, yet if you are more of a rough diamond like mcilorum you are allowed to leave.
Panchitta Marra

cherry.pie wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Micky asked to speak to Catalans only after he knew Wigan werent prepared to increase his salary.
There is another player at Wigan who has had a dramatic increase in salary given to him to prevent him leaving to another SL club.
There are certain personality of players that Wigan are prepared to keep hold of, yet if you are more of a rough diamond like mcilorum you are allowed to leave.
That's such a bizarre thing to say considering by most accounts Micky was well liked by coaches and staff.

Fans always like to come up with theories but what evidence is there that certain 'personalities' are more valued by the club? Particularly given that Micky has been held in pretty high esteem by the club throughout his career, hence the suprise from some that he's been allowed to leave.

Some players will be given salary increases to prevent them from leaving, others won't. It all depends on how valuable the player is considered to be or how easily they can be replaced. That's sport.
It's far from blizzare cherry, it's from the horses mouth.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

cherry.pie wrote: It's a bizarre thing for the horse to say then.
After a bit of a topsy Turvey week being a Wigan fan this made me proper laugh out loud :lol:
Panchitta Marra

cherry.pie wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
cherry.pie wrote: That's such a bizarre thing to say considering by most accounts Micky was well liked by coaches and staff.

Fans always like to come up with theories but what evidence is there that certain 'personalities' are more valued by the club? Particularly given that Micky has been held in pretty high esteem by the club throughout his career, hence the suprise from some that he's been allowed to leave.

Some players will be given salary increases to prevent them from leaving, others won't. It all depends on how valuable the player is considered to be or how easily they can be replaced. That's sport.
It's far from blizzare cherry, it's from the horses mouth.
It's a bizarre thing for the horse to say then.
I don't know you but I've sent you a pm to explain exactly where I'm getting my information from and in reference to your comment where you say that MM is held in high esteem.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: It's far from blizzare cherry, it's from the horses mouth.
It's a bizarre thing for the horse to say then.
I don't know you but I've sent you a pm to explain exactly where I'm getting my information from and in reference to your comment where you say that MM is held in high esteem.

Out of interest why your in the know and I’m well not, was MM on more, the same or less than the other player after his pay rise? I suppose it’s relevant as they both play the same position so doing the same job.